• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooker/Smoker for Volunteer Fire Dept.

Ps1474

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Greetings!

I've been delegated the task of picking out a cooker for my Vol. Fire Dept to use for our bi-annual BBQ fund-raiser as I'm the guy in charge of said event, and the only one with catering/BBQ experience.

We have been borrowing a Carolina Cooker (CC) to cook the meat but I have never been super happy with the results. Ive taken to using a "smoke pot" (a 12 quart dutch oven with a layer of charcoal with chucks of wood on top) with the CC to give the meat smoke flavor. And it works fairly well but I don't get near the results I do using my UDS or Webber Kettle with the snake method.

Here is what we need in a smoker/cooker.

1.) Easy to use. These are a bunch of Volunteers that have no real experience cooking large amounts of meat. I do, but I'll have to teach them how to use what ever cooker we get.

2.) Our Budget is $3k.

3.) Each event requires we cook about 20-30 butts over 2 days. So I would like to be able to cook 15 butts at once. Also I would love to expand the menu to include Brisket. So say 10 butts, and 2-3 Briskets - if we go that route.

Some of my fellow fire fighter want to get something that can grill hamburgers too, but at this point (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think we can get a unit that can do both well within our budget.
Also some on the Department want something that can do a whole hog. But again, I'm not sure we can get a unit that fits the criteria for $3k.

Currently I'm leaning toward getting a Humphreys DownEast Beast and a couple large grills for burger duty. But I'm very open to suggestions!

Thanks for y'alls input!!

I would say an insulated cabinet smoker would be your best bet. There are a lot of companies out there. Here is a humphreys that would meet your needs, as an example.
https://www.humphreysbbq.com/products/the-downeast-beast
I would check into several companies, give them a call. You might be able to get special pricing, since it is for a fire department. Grills are cheap. I would get something like this for your grilling needs. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ol...SiYuWfJdK0v_M6c_v6VsAo4rfhvDnz_hoCgSMQAvD_BwE

YOu should be alble to swing both for $3k, if you do your shopping correctly.

2-3 UDS(s) and a Weber 26” Kettle or 2. ......A 2 grate UDS could do 8 Butts at a Time.

DEB only holds 8 large butts. Not close to 15.

10 meatloafs

Like Smitty said, 4 butts per/uds, easy

You already know how/what a UDS can do.
Whole hog, just build a cinderblock pit/grate for those times you need.

The "A1 competition smoker" from Custom Pits (just outside Athens, GA) is a stick burner that you can cook 8+ butts and a few packers on and it has a direct fire charcoal grill on the end. The one I have also has a fish fryer on it. You would have to teach them about managing temps on a stick burner, but the unit meets your flex needs on a budget. Oh, and it is on a trailer.

Gorilla Fabrications makes the perfect cooker for you : a "whole hog" style cooker that has a firebox for charcoal / wood, and also comes setup for propane so you can grill. I use mine almost everyday when I vend a BBQ lunch. I've done a 100Lb pig on it with no problems and there was a ton of room to spare. I also do a lot of "smoke roasting" where I'll have the firebox going with some wood and the propane going to get the temps to 400°. This gives me incredible flavors that have both a smoke flavor but also that grilled / charred flavor.

The cost is right at $2k and they are a hell of a group of hard working guys.
WwLO6Sr.jpg

AQV0fbu.jpg

www.gorillafabrication.com

Here's the ~100Lb pig I did for Memorial Day earlier this year and you can see there is a ton more room for a much bigger pig. I also took out the top rack for this cook, so just know there's usually another rack in there for more cooking space.

Good luck with whatever you choose but this is a great cooker that is easy to use and checks every box you discussed.

Last edited:
Former volunteer firefighter here (and hopefully future, once I get settled in to this new location). I read this post and had the following thoughts:

Simple - pellet grill. Put pellets in, turn it on, set the temp. Done.
Durable - it needs to be bullet proof. Firefighters are EXTREMELY good at breaking things.
Versatile - needs to be able to smoke or grill.
Easy to Use - related to "Simple" but here for a reason. Needs to be usable by someone following the steps outlined in no more than four or five sentences.

A couple initial thoughts: Yoder 1500 if you can talk them into a VFD discount - big, built like a tank. Can grill or smoke. A couple of RecTec Rt700's - Great prices. A little smaller, but you could easily stay under budget with two. Solid reputation.

The guys and gals that volunteer to risk their lives to save others are a unique breed. They can come from all walks of life. Hard working, salt of the earth. Hearts of solid gold. And they can do things like deliver babies or unzip a crumpled car like you open a can of soup. Whatever we suggest, we also need to remember - the reason they need this is as a means to an end - making food for the public a couple of times a year. They'll probably use this for themselves a few times a year as well. The KISS principle is a great thing to keep in mind when dealing with firefighters and EMS folks.

I can't offer much advice regarding the smoker itself, but if you also want to be able to grill up some burgers and hot dogs, then you can't go wrong with a Weber kettle or two for cheap.

The A1 Comp Cooker and the Unit from Gorilla Fabrication have peeked my interest.

The Humphreys site says one can fit around 16 butts on it, is that not the case?

Keep the suggestions coming and Thanks !

If you can swing another $500... that Gorilla "The Woodman Trailer" looks LEGIT and would cover all needs.

rb

I'd probably lean toward a pellet smoker (or two smaller ones). Add pellets, plug it in, turn dial and walk away. Stick burners have a learning curve that some members of your cadre might not have the patience for. Most fireman I know, including my cousin, are good at putting out fires but suck at keeping them lit! :p

Beyond the pellet cookers, get some cheap Weber's off of craigslist or spring for some new 26's. You can decent get coupons for Lowe's online and couple that with their occasional promotion for 10% off with the My Lowes Card. You could essentially get 3 for the price of 2.

I recommend against a pellet smoker, too many hands around that like playing with fire.

I'll add a vote to Weber kettles for grilling.

Former FF too. Our VFD (I’m not a member of that dept) here uses cinder blocks and expanded metal. That way when the event grows annually, they can just add size to it. They build and break it down every year. That way, everyone can pitch in to help, not just the chef/cooks. Plus it’s cheap.

I’ve done 6 butts at once on my 18” WSM, no drama.

Thanks all!

I think the leading contenders are either a insulated cabinet style smoker (with Humphrey's Holiday Weekender being the leading contender) or building 3 "extended" UDSs.

Does anyone know of a place that sells clean, preferably new, unlined barrels near Richmond Virginia?

EDIT: The HBT Weekender looks really great too!

I think for ease of use, if we don't go with the cabinet style, I really want something with a offset firebox with bonus points if it's insulated. Thoughts??

Last edited:
Thanks all!

I think the leading contenders are either a insulated cabinet style smoker (with Humphrey's Holiday Weekender being the leading contender) or building 3 "extended" UDSs.

Does anyone know of a place that sells clean, preferably new, unlined barrels near Richmond Virginia?

EDIT: The HBT Weekender looks really great too!

I think for ease of use, if we don't go with the cabinet style, I really want something with a offset firebox with bonus points if it's insulated. Thoughts??

I don't think you want an offset firebox, unless you are planning on burning wood. You are going to burn a lot more charcoal, than the cabinet or a uds. Since you are wanting inexperienced people to run them, charcoal is your best bet. That's why I recommended the insulated cabinet. They are about as set it, and forget it as you can get. I also considered operating costs. You will pay more up front for the cabinet smoker, but if you only have to run 1 cooker instead of 3 you are going to save over time. Same for pellets. Love my pellet grill, but your operating costs are going to be higher running a pellet grill, over the cabinet smoker, and you don't have to worry about electricity.

If you want to go the offset route, Lone Star Grills is a good option. Also I think st louis bbq store still has a couple shirleys in stock.

Last edited:
Back