• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Turkey Conundrum

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
As usual I'm on deck for cooking this year's turkey(s). We have a new family tradition where our extended families go to a beach-house for the entire Thanksgiving week. It is fairly remote, with any "real" grocery store being a pretty good hike away.

So we leave on Saturday before the week of Thanksgiving meaning five days before the big day. I usually go fresh turkey, but I'm not keen on a fresh turkey in a fridge or cooler for five days....

My thought is to buy frozen as much as I hate to, and then let it thaw slowly in the fridge at the beach house until Turkey Day.

Thoughts? Any way to stay fresh without food safety or quality concerns besides taking a long turkey drive?

If it's a new tradition to have Thanksgiving at a beach house, maybe it's time to rethink all the traditional, expected, "been there done that" fare?

Do chicken and sausage gumbo instead.

If you are stuck with having to provide the traditional table, you might be stuck with trucking in a frozen bird. Is what it is.

I’ve never had or made turkey that wasn’t frozen at some point. Is there actually a difference in quality?

Probably should have thought about this before posting. :)

After some reflection I'm of the mindset that I will be MORE than ready to take a 45 minute to one hour trip (each way) to go get some fresh birds Tuesday or Wednesday of Thanksgiving week after spending all that quality family time.

Well there you go. Crisis averted- expectations will be met. And you get a bit of "quiet time" away during your shopping excursion.

(every time we get the extended family together, I realize why we only do it once a year. Love them dearly but dayummm.)

J, I'd make sure a fresh turkey is available in that area first. Just a thought.

Familyitis

It’s a real deal. Take any opportunity presented to escape.

Oops forgot Salem Lights and fake snow

Robert Earl Keen
Merry Christmas from the Family- only Thanksgiving

Last edited:
Back