View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #7925
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
lolol, damn, I was thinking about getting a PBC, but not sure now.

Anyway, my comment was about fat in the fire. Some people like it, some don't.

I've had a few occassions where my UDS started puffing white smoke near the end of the smoke. The fat from the briskets were dropping in the fire basket. It created a taste on the outside of the brisket that I don't care for. I've since placed a glazed saucer with sand on my diffuser, it absorbs most all the fat drippings and prevents it from dripping into the fire basket.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
let me guess, were you using briquettes?

I thought drippings created a bitter taste too, so i also used diffusers.. Then I switched to lump after seeing the difference between the white smoke of briquettes and the white smoke of lump( in a free air chimney)

that changed everything. so I removed my diffusers and got a better flavor, and hanging just makes it more intense i guess.

mine had light white smoke most of the cook, but it wasnt bitter white smoke from smoldering wood, it was the drippings from the fat.

also, Im pretty sure that drippings have water content as well, which turns into steam and keeps the meat more moist and helps it cook faster.