Well my last post well tell you how I did that and thats why I take it out to light it and keep it from blowing out my flam. Also when I light the charcoal I only either light four or five coals in the middle of the pile or four of five on the very outside edge, kind of a version of the Minion Method I guess and I am not sure which is the best way to do it, I experment each time. But the basket is not that hot when I put it back in but I still wear gloves.
Dave

When you use the weed burner do you just light a few coals in the middle to do the minion method?

Mo - Why do the ball joint pipe vents need to be L-shaped and pointing up? Just curious what the reason is for going to that much trouble.

Thanks for the answers.. would still like to see pics.

B

Hows your ball joints hanging?

Blutch said:
When you use the weed burner do you just light a few coals in the middle to do the minion method?

Mo - Why do the ball joint pipe vents need to be L-shaped and pointing up? Just curious what the reason is for going to that much trouble.

Thanks for the answers.. would still like to see pics.

B
The pipe is pointing up with the ball joint on top of that, because I am a fat old man who hates bending over, in the dark. Makes it eazyer to see how much it is open, and I only put one pipe and vent on my barrel. Thats why I don't care for a WSM, which I have had, can't see what the heck I am doing down there.

Fact is, if I have to get down on the floor for any reason I stay down there and make sure there isn't anything else I need to do, while I am there.:lol:

Yes I only light a few coal, either in the middle or on the edge.
Dave

That was a heck of a thread. Read the whole dang thing too. Nice jobs on your drum smokers!

Automotive mishap

Azinine said:
ditto. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Will be making a USD soon...

Just looking at some of my post and some how I refered to the ball valve as a ball joint and so did some others. I hope no one is putting a ball joint on there smoker because you will have to grease it every other cook.:rolleyes:
Dave

Great thread fella's. I picked up a 55 gal. barrell the other day. The company was selling them for $3 with lids. Powder coat paint was in the barrell but in a plastic liner. There is some powder dust residue on the insides but I figure a good burn should take care of any leftover residue. I'll get started on the project as soon as I finish with my taxes.

I just read it myself. Very informative. Has anyone considered cutting out a door on the side for adding coals ?

Also, how about adding a heat sink ?

I just figured if Weber won't bring a 22" WSM to us, We could bring one to them.:shock:

I am very interested in these type smokers and plan to build one this year.

Put these on my drum smoker last night at 10:00. Set temp went to bed. At 7:30 got up and temp on barrel 205. Meat 170-180. Cruiser!
IMG_1983.jpg

Norcoredneck said:
Put these on my drum smoker last night at 10:00. Set temp went to bed. At 7:30 got up and temp on barrel 205. Meat 170-180. Cruiser!

DAMN! That's what Im' talking about in my other thread.. can't even leave the offset alone for an hour to go to the store.

B

Norcoredneck said:
IMG_1983.jpg
One for you and one for the Mrs.

What's your daughter going to eat?

Fire going so good decided able to cook daughter something. Thanks for reminding me Neil.

IMG_1986.jpg

This past weekend I did two 8 lb butts a 8 lb top sirloin roast and 4 racks of ribs on the UDS. It was the toughest cook so far and I am searching for answers...

My temps weren't as stable and I had to have all the air intakes open to hold 250. There was a lot of moisture around the top of the drum. Cooking times went up significantly. Air temps weren't too bad (upper 60s), it was a bit windy, but I put up the tent with the sides.

The butts took 10 hours and the ribs took 6 1/2 hours. The butts turned out really well but the ribs never did get much of a bark.

The only things I can think of are that all of the moisture dripping kept the briqs from burning as well and/or their was so much more meat that the airflow between the meat was restricted.

What do you folks think??

Back