Pozole

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
We love Pozole. Can't get enough of it and haven't for quite a while.
Hispanic supermarket here had the Pozole mix on sale this week. Got!

iuWpwpz.jpg

Picked up 2 lbs. of nixtamal from my favorite tortilleria.

bGZGxSf.jpg

Heating the nixtamal in water with half a head of garlic chunks.

bLrrBXv.jpg

Heating the pork in water with 1 1/2 tbs of salt.

0Ullgdw.jpg

After the meat was boiling for a while, skimmed the fat and added a chopped onion.

Z2kkeyy.jpg

After both pots were brought to a boil, reduced to a simmer and cooked for several hours. Temps were around 350* in the cookers. KBB for heat.
These Caliente gill kits come in real handy for a cook like this. Makes it ez to adjust heat in the Dutch ovens.
I've ended up with 2 of them: https://www.amazon.com/Caliente-400...rType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent#R6KN3I8IEE81D

VoT7W0f.jpg

Seeded Ancho, Negro and Guajillo chiles soaked in hot water for 20 minutes.

S1Yyfly.jpg

Chilies and water into the blender. Liquefied.

qgd8Dtk.jpg

Then strained. And added to the nixtamal.

D3NRrU8.jpg

Cooked the pork until it was falling apart. Separated the fat and bones from the meat.

t3Y7VcM.jpg

Que chulada! I'd hit a few bowls of that for sure! So glad to see you used some of that good pork broth. That's where the flavor is at! Years back, my dad started making a mix of chopped radish, cabbage, cilantro, onion, and tomato as the veggie topping. We have used it ever since. The fresh cilantro and tomato add a nice coolness.

That mix is awesome. Tiene pata tambien!
I love pozole! You did it right!

Bob

:hail: Dang Robert you have outdone yourself, awesome cook brother.

Que chulada! I'd hit a few bowls of that for sure! So glad to see you used some of that good pork broth. That's where the flavor is at! Years back, my dad started making a mix of chopped radish, cabbage, cilantro, onion, and tomato as the veggie topping. We have used it ever since. The fresh cilantro and tomato add a nice coolness.

That mix is awesome. Tiene pata tambien!
I love pozole! You did it right!

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Not shown was the crumbled Mexican oregano and the chopped cilantro. Kinda messed up the plate pic. Never thought about chopped tomato. Tonight leftovers will feature the addition of half an avocado in the bottom of the bowl. And I'm sure you know.... it's always better the next day.

Thanks, Bob. Not shown was the crumbled Mexican oregano and the chopped cilantro. Kinda messed up the plate pic. Never thought about chopped tomato. Tonight leftovers will feature the addition of half an avocado in the bottom of the bowl. And I'm sure you know.... it's always better the next day.

Try some me fresh tomato. I think you will like it. Always better the next day. I've never had it with avocado. On my must try list for next time!:thumb:

Bob

Last edited:
Great job Robert, Pozole is one of my favorite winter time soup/stews. I usually make enough for 1/2 dozen meals since it freezes well.

Great job Robert, Pozole is one of my favorite winter time soup/stews. I usually make enough for 1/2 dozen meals since it freezes well.

Yep. Love it in winter. However.... we eat late in the evening and it's real good at that time of day.

Back