Question about reverse flows

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a trailer. It's a reverse flow. My concern with a reverse flow is the baffle plate getting so hot that is sizzles when grease drips on it and makes nasty smoke creating a nasty bitter flavor on the food. I had this problem with my old Kamado and its deflector plate. I hated it. I currently have a traditional flow and that problem is not an issue. Anyone with a reverse flow have an issue like this?

All of the reverse flow cookers I have been around, all Shirley's, sizzle but the food is was good as any.

Haven't noticed a bad taste from mine. Sizzle, yes.

I don't usually cook over 300, either, so if you are getting up in temps, that may be where your experience differs from mine.

It is all about the temp you want to run at. If you keep the temperature below about 325, the drippings will sizzle as water boils off, but the fat won’t smoke. If you cook too hot and the RF plate gets over 350-400 you will hit the smoke point of the fats and oils and it will start to smoke.

You can always put in a drip tray with spacers if you want to cook hot without smoke. In my kamado I simply roll up a few pieces of aluminum foil to set the drip pan on. Less than half an inch of air gap between the deflector and the pan keeps the drip pan from getting hot enough to smoke. The same should work on an RF plate although I have never needed to do that in the Lang.

Don't worry about it. My Bubba Grill sizzles while cooking just to let me know it's working. Never had a burnt taste come out of it.

You still have fat dripping onto hot metal in a standard offset too, I dont really see the two being much different in that regard. Never had any problems, as others have stated. Most of that fat and juices run out the drain anyway.

This is akin to saying you are looking a new truck, but afraid the engine might overheat because it has this big piece of metal over top of it called a "hood".

Yeah, too many RFs in use for this to be a real concern.

I saw Paul’s Shirley in action at the NT Fall Bash and it sounded like he was pan frying his brisket. But the aroma was not grease and smoke... more like meat getting a good sear. Lovely aroma.

My LSG has tuning plates. Fat, etc dips down on these plates like it would in a reverse flow....... never been aa problem at all.

You could cook in pans if it worries you and clean up is a breeze.

This is what I do now because I got sick of cleaning my smoker. I put the meat on racks and straddle those racks across the top of the pans. This way I can collect the drippings and make some au jus later, and I'm still allowing heat and smoke to get all the way around the meat. Kind of a best of both worlds situation in my opinion.

Also, I've been cooking on an RF Johnson Smoker for about 16 months now and have never had any issue with the fat sizzling / smelling bad like I did in my kamado.

Buy it.... use it.... you will be happy... I’ve cooked over 350 degrees many times......loved every bit of it...... as stated is it any different from hitting tuning plates or the bottom of a general offset..... “my opinion” of course not.....

I have a straight flow with a 3/4 length temp baffle to keep the temps even. I have never had any trouble with burning drippings. Go with it and good luck.

No trouble at all with my Shirley. Scrap the plate every couple of cooks and you will be fine.

Well I threw my hat in the ring. I'm on the wait list. Evie Maes 24x60 cabinet style reverse flow. 6-8 weeks out.

Was also kinda looking for something "different". Shirley, Moberg, etc. I don't know anyone with an Evie Maes, and there's literally nothing on the internet about them. So....I'll give it a try. I figure if I don't like it I can sell it pretty easy due to the name on it.

ar2u1.png

2lx6kgm.png

106hm54.png

Looks nice! Can’t wait to see your cooks! Gonna be a long 6 weeks waiting! Congrats!

Back