Results with Stickburner versus charcoal bullet smoker

MeatStreet

Reaction score
I've got a large stickburner that I use for comps. I also have a much smaller WSM.

I'd like to do some test cooks on the WSM to save time, money and wood, but I'm worried how much the results will "translate" to the stickburner.

Of course, I'll try the results on the stickburner before a comp.

I'm just wondering what everyone sees as the differences between the two. I imagine the taste would be different, but how about tenderness?

If you cook at the same temperature on both, does it come out about the same tenderness (assuming similar sized cuts, etc.).

A deeper smoke profile and smoke ring on stick burner, i also have both type cookers

I cooked on bullets for years...beat a lot of stick burners. I cooked on pellet smokers for years...beat a lot of bullets and stick burners. A pit is a tool...nothing more...nothing less...:cool:

Not sure exactly what type of stickburner you have but 275 is not the same on a stickburner with good airflow (Jambo, etc) as it is on a WSM.

I find 275 on a Jambo (only stickburner I have experience with) cooks faster than 275 on a WSM due to convective heat in the Jambo

Other than that I think you can get great tenderness and flavor from either pit if you know how to use it properly.

I'm just wondering what everyone sees as the differences between the two. I imagine the taste would be different, but how about tenderness?

If you cook at the same temperature on both, does it come out about the same tenderness (assuming similar sized cuts, etc.).

Tenderness is per the Pitmaster skill. Taste would be different depending on the fuel and airflow...clean or dirty smoke.

The same temp may get you in the ballpark as far as time...but the overall results may vary depending on meat placement, weather, etc...

cook time is your biggest variable IMO for testing purposes. While flavor and smoke may differ some, it's not going to be a huge difference.

You need to practice on whatever pit you will use in comps.

• Thanks
Reactions: bam
Back