Intro and advice needed

HouTexSmoker

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
First off all thanks for having me! I'm looking forward to learning and hopefully eventually being able to contribute. Lol I'm assuming my name gives away my location so it'll be interesting to see how many of the Brethern are from the area.

On to the good stuff, I've been a stick burner now for several years but have recently been bitten by the pellet bug. It's too damn hot to be sitting outside in the summer here tending to the fire. I'll save that for the winter months. Besides it's easier to keep my beer cold then.

The wife gave me the ok to go ahead and get myself a pellet smoker for father's day. I'm not ready to jump off the deep end financially yet, just wanna dip my toes in the water. I've been looking and researching and came up with the below options. I'd like to get your opinions, I'm leaning towards the Pit Boss Austin XL for some reason.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss...Grill-w-Flame-Broiler-Cooking-Probe/793230399

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-triton-xl-pellet-grill#repChildCatid=4946079

https://m.costco.com/Louisiana-Grills-Backyard-Pro-with-Smokebox.product.100386742.html

Any insight/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome but I can’t Help you any - got no interest in a Pellet pooper- I like charcoal smokers for non babysitting cooks.

Welcome. Of those choices only, I'd go with the Louisiana. Expanding your options I'd seriously consider a Rec Tec. They are a much better unit. Research here and you'll find tons of info. I'd stay away from Traeger.

Of those 3, I would go with the Louisiana. Don't know much about any of the 3, but I would like to have a cabinet on mine, strictly for hanging sausages. In that price range, I would also consider Grilla Grills, and Rec Tec. For the Price, the Pit Boss would be a good choice too, if the cold smoker box, doesn't interest you.

The cold smoke box intrigues me but I have no idea how to use it or what to use it for. Lol

It's just big too.

+1 on the Louisianna from the list or better yet ++1 on the Rec Tec. Cold smokers are fun..cheese or fish are first that come to mind but ive seen veggies, olives, nuts...all kinds of things go on a cold smoker.

Welcome aboard!
I too am from the Houston area and was a stick burner for many years (over 30 yrs). I went through the same thought process as you are experiencing. Looking, reading, trying out things at relatives and talking and reading, all the research looking into getting away from fire tending the stick burner. I was quite intrigued by the pellet poopers too and really wanted one for the reduction in time spent at the pit. After trying meat cooked on a couple of them, I decided to stay away from them. The taste was not was we were used to on the stick burner. Then I tried the Bradley Smoker, the MasterBuilt smoker and not happy with either of them. Next I did more research and decided to get a VIC. Again for the reason of less babysitting the pit. Big investment but was not happy with the results, compared to the stick burner. Sold it to a friend. Next round of research and I got a WSM 22.5". Well again we were not satisfied with the end product. I finally told the wife, I am through not being happy or satisfied with the results.Well guess what? I ordered a NEW LSG stick burner and will pick it up this weekend!
I knew all along from all the research that most agreed that a stick burner cannot be equaled in the end product, but I tried to get away from one anyway, thought I could make it work. I gave my perfectly good stick burner away several years ago to my son-in-law and he loves it. My attempt at laziness was his gain.
I do wish you well on your journey and just thought I would share my own journey down a similar path.
I read all that i could find on every type of pit out there and valiantly tried several of them.
Bottom line, If you are happy with the product you are getting with what ever pit you are using then you should STICK with it. No Pun intended.

Just my opinion!
Rik Rok

Glad you got the interest! Those are nice choices. I like my Pit Boss 820. IMnotalwaysHO, you would be happy choosing the Austin. HOWEVER, the Louisiana is a really cool looking cooker. I dont anything about that model. I do know that PitBoss is affiliated with Louisiana grills. If you can afford it, the Louisiana might be the better option.

Good morning and welcome, I'm down the road from you in LBC, that would be Lower Brazoria County. Lake Jackson to be precise. I too was interested by pellet grills. I investigated then a few years ago never pulling the trigger. I looked hard at the Rec-Tec but never pulled the trigger. Coming from a stick burner you might want to taste some food off of a pellet grill. What constitutes a enjoyable level of smokiness is a very personal thing. Pellet smokers in general offer less smokey flavors. That's something to consider. Grilla Grills are an additional one to check out. They are priced about where the Louisiana grill is. Rec-Tec will come in a few hundred dollars higher.

My question is what do you want to do with the Pellet grill. Smoke only? Grilling steaks and others also? Pellet grills have a limited temperature range which will effect how well they can grill. Not to say burgers and steaks off a pellet grill aren't tasty. But you don't have a way to sear without investing in grill grates. Which is around $100. If you are even considering the $900 Louisiana grill I'd look into the Grilla Grills. The $750 Silverback shipped to your door is $250 more than the Pit Boss you get far far superior build quality. Check out their website. Lots of info there. But if you want it this weekend, and I fully understand that, a local option may be better for you as Grilla Grills (and Rec-Tec) are direct to consumer companies.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a Pellet grill. I'm currently looking at Grilla Grills and Rec-Tec. In the meantime I have my BGE and Weber kettle to keep me going.

There's another forum called Pellet heads devoted just to Pellet grills. That's a great source for information on Pellet grills. Abet bias towards pellet grills.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I've been contemplating the Louisiana but the more I think about it the more I just don't ever see me using the cold smoke box. I've checked out the RecTec and they're a little more than I wanna spend for now for the size grill I want.

Think I'm gonna go pick up the Pit Boss today after work. I'll keep you updated! Pictures of first smoke will follow!

Back