THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kloogee

Full Fledged Farker
I will be smoking a whole chicken this afternoon (probably spatchcocked). But we won't be able to eat it for about 3-4 hours after cooking due to running different directions for kids activities.

I'm thinking I'll put it in the oven tented in foil to hold it. What temp should I set my oven at? Does 170* make sense so that it doesn't keep cooking to a higher temp?

Personally I'd carve it and heat it back up. The skin won't be as good but IMO it would just dry out more trying to keep it warm.

I, too, would cut it up and cool it down. If you want crisp skin, you can always grill the pieces again skin side down just before eating.

Keep it whole and either put it in a cooler with some towels to take up space or use the oven at a low temp.

170 will probably still keep cooking it (especially if you take it off as I do when the IT of the breast is 155), but it's not a LOT hotter than holding temp so it should be fine.

If your oven has a timer control at all, you could set it to hold for 1.5-2 hours and then shut off. The residual heat in the oven and the whole bird will keep things nice and warm until you can carve it.

As soon as you carve it up, you'll sacrifice some of the moisture. To reheat it, IMHO, will just dry it out further. Best bet is to hold it whole if you can. At least that's how I'd do it.

Back