UDS Long Term Build, Have some questions.

Minor progress.
Spent the first actual money.
$4.64 for the conduit locknuts for the intakes, a 1" knockout seal per Thirdeye's suggestion and a 1/2" UF cable connector for the temp probes.
Tried to pickup a propane weed burner at Harbor Freight yesterday but they were sold out.
Should have more by Tuesday.
Meanwhile, I'll keep working on the basement bathroom rebuild.
Not nearly as fun.

Last edited:
Some more minor progress.
Actually the last obstacle.
I picked up a weed burner but am having an issue with it.
I remember seeing a discussion on here regarding the weed burner's required flow rate not getting along with the nanny valve on the propane tank.
I can hear a clink sound from the tank when I turn the valve of the torch on.
I've tried all 3 of my propane tanks, same issue.
What is the workaround??

DSC02373.jpg

Mine connects directly to the propane tank, no regulator, just a needle valve on the torch.

Mine is the same setup, thirdeye.
I reverted to something I hate to do.
I read the directions.
I was opening the valve too fast and the nanny valve was shutting me down.
Followed the directions and unleashed hell! 500,000 btus!
Made a bunch of progress on the bath project today, tomorrow is my last day off for Thanksgiving, so I think I deserve a day to work on this project instead.
Not sure if I'll get the fire basket done, but should get the barrel burnt out and the holes drilled.

Last edited:
OK, first try didn't go well and my post was eaten by the zombie thread filter.

After too many other projects and a stiff case of ADD, I finally got some more done on this project.

I had cut the bottom grate for the coal basket from some heavy gauge expanded metal that I had salvaged. I made it 14" in diameter.
The material wasn't long enough to make the basket in one piece, so I rolled 2 pieces on the slip roller. This stuff is tough. I got a pretty good upper body workout, but I'm happy with the results.

I still have to attach the coal grate to the sides of the basket. I'm thinking about 4" up from the bottom, does that sound about right? The basket is 14" tall as well.

Last edited:
After work, I attacked the drum with the weed burner, remembering to stay hydrated!

Still need to learn how to turn this torch on slower, but got it severely toasted. Since it was a lined drum, I'll burn it out some more before I sand and season it.

Well, now I can't upload the pics, but you all know what a burned out drum looks like.
Hopefully I can make more progress this weekend.

Nice! A wire bucket handle and your all set.
Is that your shop?

My neighbors are out jogging and exercising,
I'm in the garage building a smoker and drinking beer.

If this IS the end of the world, the joke's on them!

Back