I picked up my smoker today! (Kat BBQ 48x24 reverse flow)

mtoy

Reaction score
Just been lurking, because it is cold and I am not cooking much, and because my BBQ life has been on hold a little bit, waiting for today ...

smoker-on-trailer-small.jpg

So here's my first post, there is a Facebook album with all the pictures, it's me and some friends picking up the smoker, from Kat BBQ Smokers in Modesto, CA. It's a 48x24 reverse flow with a warmer which you can convert into a vertical.

I have not even seasoned the pit yet, so I have no wise things to say about how great or not great it is, but I can say that there is something magic about thick steel that makes you think, every time you touch this thing, "THIS is how smokers should be built".

( that same "magic" is why it took a crew of six people to get it up onto my raised patio :-D )

Anyway, howdy all, thought you might enjoy the pictures. I'll post again once I have some miles on it and know more than "it shore is purty", which it is.

Last edited:
Congratulations, looking forward to your initial cooks.

Congrats! I would say that is quite and upgrade from your old smoker.

Thanks. I had the life changing moment of tasting great BBQ once upon a time, and then I started the quest trying to figure out how to make great BBQ, and it took me a lot longer than most people to get it figured out (decades). The little cruddy sidebox was good enough, it was super fussy and didn't make much, but it was cheap, AND I learned a lot about what matters in the process.

When I finally got good enough, the cruddy smoker was instantly too small.

The calculation for me on the new smoker was "for my best friend in the world, how long am I willing to spend trimming brisket before a cook?" then size the smoker to cook that much brisket. I think this pit will do 6-8 (depending on size) and I think that's about as much as I would ever be willing to cook at once. I remember watching a video of some youtube guy trimming twenty briskets for his first cook in his trailer sized (propane tank based) offset and thinking, "nope, don't ever want to do that"

Last edited:
That smoker looks awesome. Waiting patiently for some action shots.

That thing is awesome. I'll have to look into KATs. Seems like a very quality build. Congrats and happy smoking!

Congrats! She's a beauty. I'm with you on trimming briskets. Once you get over 6-8 it's just work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great looking smoker there. Can’t wait to see the results and read your observations.

Wow, that is an awesome smoker, congratulations. Put it on bigger wheels, it will make the thing easier to move.

Last edited:
Back