First Time Fatties

djeppert

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Today I did some fatties for the first time. Wow, can't believe what I've been missing. Didn't even know what these were until I joined this forum. Here is what I ended up with today, not too bad for the first time with these, and my 2nd smoke ever.

Attachments

• Fresh Off the Smoker.jpg
    Fresh Off the Smoker.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Ready to Eat.jpg
    Ready to Eat.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 230
  • Good Smoke Ring.jpg
    Good Smoke Ring.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 230
yeah, I hadn't heard about them until this forum either. Smoked my first one yesterday and it definitely won't be the last. Looks like you got a nice ring on those.

Welcome to The Brethren. Soon you will be doing bacon weaves and stuffing them with who knows what!!!! Enjoy.

I was a virgin to the fattie before I found this forum also. I need to find someone to show me how to do the diagonal weave :)

I also grilled my first fatty last weekend for friends. You should've seen the strange looks I got when I told them what a fatty was. My friends wife who is not a fan of sausage ate it and loved it!

Looks good. I have yet to try the fattie and really don't know what they are but I will be finding out.

I also grilled my first fatty last weekend for friends. You should've seen the strange looks I got when I told them what a fatty was. My friends wife who is not a fan of sausage ate it and loved it!

My wife is exactly the same way, and she really like these, and I have had the same conversations with a couple friends about what a fatty is.

The one on the right is the Maple and the one on the left is Lean Original. My wife picked these up for me at the store, and I was a little worried about the lean one. I thought maybe it would be too dry when it was done. They both turned out great, and tasted amazing.

As so many people have posted in the forum, whenever I smoke something there will likely be a couple fatties on there as well!

How long did you smoke them, and what temp? I haven't done one yet, but thinking of doing one or two this weekend.

When I busted out a fatty last weekend for my buddies it was like I opened their eyes to a whole new world. the conversation quickly went into ideas for what to stuff future versions with!

I was a little worried about the lean one. I thought maybe it would be too dry when it was done.

I think lean is a very relative term when it comes to pork sausage :becky: I would suspect that, as you found out, that it would come out just fine. Was it a little less greasy than the others?

How long did you smoke them, and what temp? I haven't done one yet, but thinking of doing one or two this weekend.

I've only cooked one myself, so I ask this question in the humblest tone to those who have more experience with them. My guess would be that internal temp (165 is what I went for on my first) is the main thing to worry about with fatties. There is so much fat that my guess would be that they'll turn out whether you cook them at 250 or 350, they'll still be good. Maybe you'd get a better ring on the lower/longer cooks? Just wondering.

I think lean is a very relative term when it comes to pork sausage :becky: I would suspect that, as you found out, that it would come out just fine. Was it a little less greasy than the others?

There really wasn't a big difference in the final texture between the 2. I actually preferred the taste of the lean myself, but the maple was pretty good too. My kids definitely like the lean one better.

This was my first time, but I just followed everyone's advice on here. My smoker was running between 225 & 235, and it took 2 1/2 hours to get the IT to 165. I am still fighting with the temperature variation on my offset a little, but it is much better than when I started.

I've only cooked one myself, so I ask this question in the humblest tone to those who have more experience with them. My guess would be that internal temp (165 is what I went for on my first) is the main thing to worry about with fatties. There is so much fat that my guess would be that they'll turn out whether you cook them at 250 or 350, they'll still be good. Maybe you'd get a better ring on the lower/longer cooks? Just wondering.
I am new to smoking fatties, but the few that I have made all seem to have come out well, even the ones that I had to put in the oven to bring the rest of the way to to temp after my fire died (I know, I lose my union card for letting my fire die). I did have a couple that I smoked at around 200 for 6 hours and had a nice smoke ring all the way through the sausage. They were delicious.

So...225-250 until IT is 165...thanks guys! <licking my chops>

Nice looking Fat Boys...I did a couple Greeks last weekend with ground lamb and feta. Going to do some over the Fourth for breakfast fatness. I use cheap, thin bacon that allows me to stretch it a bit to get the weave nicely done, the thicker stuff is not as easy to work with..

Back