abt whole or sliced in half?

scotts1919

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Normally when i made abt's i would cut top jalapeno, core out, stuff with cream cheese mixture and mini hotdog then wrap in bacon. Then throw it in jalapeno holder rack thing onto grill.

I have also seen people slice the jalapenos in half and lay them stuffed on the racks on there back.

Whats everyones preference?

Just depends on volume people want to consume in a bite and also the texture of a whole vs half. I definitely like both, but probably the halves a bit more. Easier (relatively speaking) to stuff, I like that ratio a bit more most of the time and the way the internal ingredients heat up/cook vs being fully wrapped by an entire Jalapeno.

I've also backed down my use of cream cheese and don't stuff as full since I like other things like regular cheese and meats in the mix to stand out. I've definitely had some "cream cheese" heavy ones served and I just like a lower ratio.

Also in serving folks I've found people like smaller bites in general. So I almost never serve hamburger buns (it might be years) with pork or other products and opt for smaller rolls like Hawaiian or even small tortillas. People don't feel like they have to take a whole sandwich. Oddly people probably end up eating the same as it seems like 3-4 hawaiian rolls isn't the same as 1 sandwich :becky:.

Normally when i made abt's i would cut top jalapeno, core out, stuff with cream cheese mixture and mini hotdog then wrap in bacon. Then throw it in jalapeno holder rack thing onto grill.

I have also seen people slice the jalapenos in half and lay them stuffed on the racks on there back.

Whats everyones preference?

I'm a "core-out/jalapeno rack thing" kinda guy!

for the people that halve them, do you use half a lil smokie or a whole lil smokie?

I've always ran with halves. Never tried them whole.

I don't want to mess with racks and I can make lots of them in pretty short order.

I have to make a ton when I do them, my family's favorite is using the mixture of my deep fried sauerkraut balls without the sauerkraut.

It's a mixture of cooked pork sausage, cream cheese, yellow mustard, diced onion and some granulated garlic and topped with sharp cheddar.

halves here- all the way. and I try to get the ones that are just right- not too big/ not too small. I aim for 1/2 strip of (partially cooked) bacon to go around it - tucked not pinned. easy on the cream cheese with a bit of browned italian sausage and shredded cheddar mixed in plus a touch of what ever bbq seasoning I have.

I just ate- why am I hungry again?

We are hot-spice wussies, so halved it is. Every time I bite into one of the whole-pepper ones I end up screaming like a six year old girl....it's just embarrassing!

halves here- all the way. and I try to get the ones that are just right- not too big/ not too small. I aim for 1/2 strip of (partially cooked) bacon to go around it - tucked not pinned. easy on the cream cheese with a bit of browned italian sausage and shredded cheddar mixed in plus a touch of what ever bbq seasoning I have.

I just ate- why am I hungry again?
Never thought to partially cook the bacon. Will try that next time I make some. Probably helps get a crispy bacon without over cooking the pepper.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We are hot-spice wussies, so halved it is. Every time I bite into one of the whole-pepper ones I end up screaming like a six year old girl....it's just embarrassing!

I like to half them and be sure to remove all the white parts inside. Keeps them on the mild side. The stuffing is usually a mix of cream cheese and leftover bbq meat (most often pulled pork or brisket). For the bacon thinner is better, half slice per abt.

We like them hot. I get the larger peppers, making sure they are firm and have a lot of stretch marks on the skin. I cut them in half, core out the seeds, not too worried about the whites. Cream cheese mixed with cheddar cheese for a filling. Wrap in this bacon, whole slice or half, depending on the size of the pepper. Sprinkle with some Slap Ya Mama or HDD.

I prefer them whole because I like the roasted pepper flavor. But...I'm usually making these to share and when I do them whole it's kind of a lottery of which peppers I cleaned out well so there's usually a few 'hot' ones. I like heat so I don't mind but I've had a few horrified neighbors who 'won' the lottery :) So now I mostly make halves because you can see that you've cleaned out the membranes and seeds.

I used to make them with a serrano inside the whole jalapeno - maybe I should make a few of those as real lottery winners next time...

We like them hot. I get the larger peppers, making sure they are firm and have a lot of stretch marks on the skin. I cut them in half, core out the seeds, not too worried about the whites. Cream cheese mixed with cheddar cheese for a filling. Wrap in this bacon, whole slice or half, depending on the size of the pepper. Sprinkle with some Slap Ya Mama or HDD.

If you like them hot, try with habaneros instead. They are pretty hot but also have a great flavor

I actually remove top 1/3 lengthwise , stuff put cap back on.

Otherwise, Yes.

Back