Air Fryer - conversion spreadsheet & general time/temp guidelines

dward51

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Yeah, I know.... it's not really BBQ, but a lot of us have these dang air fryers so I figured I would post this...

Ok, I've seen this data in various forms but never combined. There are a lot of air fryer food, temp and time tables out there and they all seem to have come from a common source. So the data in this one is not new. What is new is it's in a spreadsheet, and I also added the common recommended formula to convert a conventional oven recipe to an air fryer recipe (time and temp conversions). These are general guidelines as individual air fryers will vary in wattage, size, design, etc... But is gives a decent baseline reference.

One side note, if you totally foobar your food using this data, don't blame me. It's just a suggestion and general guideline (also please PM me if you see a TYPO or feel something needs to be added that is missing).

The spreadsheet is protected and "as is" the only cells you can change data in are the time and temp fields in the bright yellow box of the calculator section. It is *NOT* password protected so it can be modified. Protection prevents accidental changes. This is in Excel's current .XLSX format. If you have an older version of Excel, just download Microsoft's plug in for your version and you should be able to use it in Excel '97 forward.

This is what the calculator looks like (right side of page):

uksaYaxl.jpg

Attachments

• Air fryer cooking times.xlsx
    15.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I'm looking hard at air fryers. How do you or anyone who has one like it? How does it compare to conventional frying? In a nutshell.

Thanks!

I'm looking hard at air fryers. How do you or anyone who has one like it? How does it compare to conventional frying? In a nutshell.

Thanks!

Not even close to actual frying. They are basically a convection oven, and the results are similar. They do a descent job of cooking packaged, frozen foods, like burritos, fries, chicken strips, egg rolls, but not that great on homemade things. I've had 2, and gave them both away. You can actually get much better fried chicken, from your kettle.

Not even close to actual frying. They are basically a convection oven, and the results are similar. They do a descent job of cooking packaged, frozen foods, like burritos, fries, chicken strips, egg rolls, but not that great on homemade things. I've had 2, and gave them both away. You can actually get much better fried chicken, from your kettle.

All I wanted to know. Thanks Josh! First time I saved money on here. :becky:

:thumb:

I just pounded a dozen BPS Hallelujah Jalapeno Salted wings air fried in a Ninja Foodie. Very crispy and very tasty in just 24 min. As good as any deep fried wings IMO. Way less hassle and mess to clean. Initially I was skeptical but waited in line at 7am at Sams club to to get it for the wifey for Christmas. We love it.

I was reluctant to get an air fryer for several reasons. We have limited counter space and most of them are pretty big, until recently they were over $100, is it a gimick, etc..... In February of 2018 JC Penney had a smaller 2.6 liter "Cooks" model that I picked up for $23 with tax thanks to a special price and a rebate. I figured I'd dip my toes in the air fryer water and see if the hype was all it was made out to be. Next thing I know, I'm using the dang thing every other day for heating or cooking something. No it's not exactly like grease fried food, but it is a pretty useful kitchen appliance. I use it a lot to heat/cook breakfast sausage or even linked fresh sausage. For breakfast, I can pop in a couple of frozen raw patties and by the time my coffee and the eggs are done, so is the sausage. Now that I'm retired, that is an everyday thing for me. The thing was super easy to clean too.

I liked the little "trial" model so much that recently I bought one of the big Air Fryer Elite Ovens (with the 3 racks, rotisserie, etc....). Just unboxed it yesterday. So yes, it's worth having one, but do not think it will 100% replace traditional frying. But for me, I upgraded and I'm moving the smaller unit to the travel trailer (until I decide to get an air fryer oven for the trailer also).

I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like it's good to have for some applications. I sort of imagined it the way you broke it down.

Thanks!

I was reluctant to get an air fryer for several reasons. We have limited counter space and most of them are pretty big, until recently they were over $100, is it a gimick, etc..... In February of 2018 JC Penney had a smaller 2.6 liter "Cooks" model that I picked up for $23 with tax thanks to a special price and a rebate. I figured I'd dip my toes in the air fryer water and see if the hype was all it was made out to be. Next thing I know, I'm using the dang thing every other day for heating or cooking something. No it's not exactly like grease fried food, but it is a pretty useful kitchen appliance. I use it a lot to heat/cook breakfast sausage or even linked fresh sausage. For breakfast, I can pop in a couple of frozen raw patties and by the time my coffee and the eggs are done, so is the sausage. Now that I'm retired, that is an everyday thing for me. The thing was super easy to clean too.

I liked the little "trial" model so much that recently I bought one of the big Air Fryer Elite Ovens (with the 3 racks, rotisserie, etc....). Just unboxed it yesterday. So yes, it's worth having one, but do not think it will 100% replace traditional frying. But for me, I upgraded and I'm moving the smaller unit to the travel trailer (until I decide to get an air fryer oven for the trailer also).

While the air fryer does not "make" good fried chicken, it will heat up left over fried chicken better than any other method. If you heat up some leftover Popeye's fried chicken (KFC, or any other) in the air fryer, you would have a tough time deciding if it was heated up or just came from the restaurant. The AF also works great on left over egg rolls, banh mi sandwiches (makes the bread crispy), pizza rolls, etc.

I also make Chinese crispy skin roast pork in my AF all the time:

The Air Fryer definitely has it's limitations as a "cooker". But for heating up food that have already been "fried" or "deep fried", there's nothing better.

Is there much of a difference between an air fryer and a toaster oven? I use mine a lot to heat up leftovers, put in toast to melt in butter or cheese, etc. Just wondering if there’s anything that an air fryer does that a toaster oven can’t come close to for those that have both.

Thanks!

Good frozen eggrolls and toasted ravioli. I like
making fries with it. 2 or 3 potatos with less then a tablespoon of oil, and you make waaaaay better fries than the oven. Last time, I used quite a bit more oil not paying attention, and the house smelled like I was deep frying for a day. I havent done them yet but wings would probably be great! Tried Brussels sprouts and they were not great. Green beans were good. Asparagus was good. Broccoli was pretty good.

Thanks!

Awesome for anything pre packaged out of freezer. Good for a quick turn around on fresh poppers. 8mins at 370 and 2 mins at 400, perfect everytime. Real good for leftovers. Wings are good. I did fresh stuffed chicken that wasn't anything exciting. Deep fryer is better for wings but i normally don't fry at home. If you use frozen foods (Fries, chicken nuggets) that sort of thing it's well worth the money. I roasted some broccoli that wasn't half bad either.

Thanks for the chart. I normally do 400 for frozen foods and 370ish for all other stuff. Seems to match up with your chart pretty well. Most food i cut my normal cooking time in half and go from there. I have had pretty good success. Mixing/rotating half way is key.

Thanks for the spreadsheet DWard51! It looks like it will be useful!

We use our air fryer for quite a few things, but as pointed out, don't expect the same results as a deep fat fryer.

I just pounded a dozen BPS Hallelujah Jalapeno Salted wings air fried in a Ninja Foodie. Very crispy and very tasty in just 24 min. As good as any deep fried wings IMO. Way less hassle and mess to clean. Initially I was skeptical but waited in line at 7am at Sams club to to get it for the wifey for Christmas. We love it.

I have been looking at the Foodi. Have you tried it as a pressure cooker yet?

Back