Prime Rib temps

R

Roo-B-Q'N

Hey brothers have been asked by the local pub to haul my cooker down to their place and cook off some prime ribs.

I did a 14 pound prime rib a couple weeks ago using a variation of Poobah's and Paul Kirk's recipes and thought flavor was good and meat was tender, but over done. Well was definetly medium and not medium rare where I wanted it to be.

I cooked in my Backwoods Party at 225-250 until it reached 140 degrees internaly. I meant to only take it to 130 degrees but got distracted and let it go to 140 :redface:. At any rate, the pub owners wanted me to take it to 140 so they could hold it in their alto shamm for later service. I told them the above story and they said they would leave it up to me.

So what temp should I take a 14 pound prime rib (boneless) too? I think even 130 would have been somewhat overdone.

Edit: Ok looked a few threads down and saw another one for prime rib. Man am I a dumb arse. But I guess a valid question can still be asked in regards to the alto shamm and holding.

Temps

Maybe to 125 and carryover to 130, I think any lower in the Temp. and you'll have rare....if they're is any thing wrong with that:mrgreen:

i did a 20lber last week and took it to 130 on the end and themiddle was a perfect 110-115 for a perfect rare.

I take it to 118-120 then foil and put in a cooler for 30 minutes or so.

I cook mine to 120-ish and then hold in the Cookshack at 140 for three or four hours. That lets the juices and flavors distribute and the temp will slowly creep up so yo end up with Medium Rare in the middle and medium on the ends. While I love my steaks rare I find that prime rib just doesn't have the best flavor until it hits Med Rare.

cook @250 until 125 degrees internal. Foil and cooler is not a bad idea, but most times I don't with a prime rib. I did a steamship round the same way, unfortunately it wouldn't fit in the cooler.

Had a 7 # eye round last weekend - cut it in half to try 2 different temps-cooked at 225 on the wsm and pulled 1 at 125 for roast beef sammies for lunch this week- let the other half go to 140 - the 125 was great - the 140 was good but as it set it got too done - 125 on left 140 on right -not the same as prime rib but
http://usera.imagecave.com/smokestack/9-30-07eyeround/

Every year a X-Mas I make a Prime Rib. I usually just do it in the oven but cook it to around the mid-130's. My family would prefer it to be more done than that but they do not help fund any of the meat costs so he who pays the bill gets to decide how done to cook it.

Back