• Best Steak Ever: Wood-Fired Reverse Seared USDA Prime Ribeye Tomahawk Steak

I just fixed a 2" thick Prime Tomahawk last night myself. This is my third one in a few months.

Always has been my favorite cut of beef. I always reverse sear mine. Turns out juicy, flavorful, perfect.

I would have reverse seared it anyway, just would have done it in one of my charcoal grills. The taste from using the offset was much more subtle, plus I think the extra cook time helped render the fat more.

Fantastic steak!!:clap2:

Was wondering why you think ribeyes are hit or miss? Besides the picanha, and maybe beef cheeks, it's the best cut.

I need this for wallpaper!!!

No not on the desktop, but the living room wall!!!

That is making me real hungry.....might have to head over to costco!

That's a mighty fine steak. I could really go for one of those.

That finished steak looks like it could have come from any popular outdoor cookbook, simply perfect. The only thing missing was a mayo slather. Thanks for the idea, I will definitely be thinking about that the next time I see a tomahawk steak in the meat counter.

Outstanding! I am a BIG fan of coffee infused rubs on beef.

Well Moose, a million thanks for the recipe for that rub.

I had two cheap steaks left over, and my wife and I tried it.

Superb. Even on cheap $7.00 steaks. And I already had all of the ingredients at home.

I used Kosher salt instead of Sea salt, and after the rub, I refrigerated for 40-45 minutes. That was the only difference. I made up a batch big enough for a second round of steaks.

Excellent rub Moose. Excellent. Likely to become my go to steak rub. I have not come across anything yet to beat it.

Last edited:
Excellent looking steak! Now I can’t wait to try your rub :)

Thanks for the post and the rub recipe. With the talk lately here about picanha and since my accountant b-i-l dabbles in wholesale meat I got a 2.5# picanha from him. Now, we eat very little steak, the BGE sees a lot of pork and chicken. Following some instructions on this site I attempted my first reverse sear on the beef, and also the first time doing picanha. Turned out really well, even had the mother-in-law and few other friends over to help us eat it. I have friends that use only coarse salt on picanha, but I enjoyed Moose's steak rub.

Even color throughout the meat, nice dark sear on outside. Great juicy texture. Will be repeated.

Used your coffee rub and reverse sear method on some picanha a few weeks ago and liked it enough that I am doing 3 more picanhas tonight for the family. I like the method as I have a large BGE and it is not big enough to grill that much meat at a time, but I can do the initial cook, hold it and then sear it as we eat it up.

Back