• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Camp Cooking?

Looks like you're in for a great time! I think you'll get this whole camping thing figured out pretty quickly. You've got the 2 main ingredients: friends/family and beer.

We were in the Dells last week and all I had was the park style grill. Did brats, of course, on the 4th. Grill them up a bit and then into the dutch oven with a couple beers, onion, stick of butter, and some kraut. Let them simmer all afternoon and people could eat whenever. The next day I ran into the meat market in town just to check it out and buy some snack sticks, summer sausages, Jerky, etc. They had some really great looking spares in the case. So I bought them and did them on that park grill. I raised the grate up pretty high and put just a thin layer of coals under it. They were awesome!

Looks like you got the hang of it right quick! I find I eat way too much when camping:(

38e14ecdcbd531247b1b735eca9163e5.jpg

0684206080b64d31d7031aca8037acd7.jpg

a5eabfb0679b4da18bd552385b744136.jpg

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just a reminder to crimp down the barb just in case.
Thanks bill. I read about that.

Can you please tell me what line setup you'd use for this type of scenario fishing off a dock?

And anyone else too. What setup? Didnt find worms as life happens. So using corn, bread and marshmellow currently.

Oldest is now looking for bugs worms in the woods. He lasted 15 solid minutes before wanting to eat marshmallows lol

I'm using the 3rd setup. One one the right.
c48f91663960ff0aab1ed2b32b57227b.jpg
3-Trout-Setups-v2-1.jpg

I use #3 for my boy too. And he lasts about 5 minutes before deciding the fish aren't hungry today.

Camping with my parents as a kid are some of my fondest memories. I love going out now to create those same memories with our kiddo. And cooking over the campfire is one of my very favorite parts.

Definitely get yourself some campfire pie irons for campfire pizzas. A classic!

Use setup 3

Most of the convenience stores stock worms near lakes, that would be my choice in bait. Corn works for carp and if there's catfish there get some chicken livers. What you don't use could be supper. :)

Use setup 3

Most of the convenience stores stock worms near lakes, that would be my choice in bait. Corn works for carp and if there's catfish there get some chicken livers. What you don't use could be supper. :)
How long of line between each thing guys? I had maybe 8 inches (in my dreams).......between bobber and weight and weight and hook. Seemed like the bait needed to be deeper...... giggity

The marshmellow and bread seemed to float back up. Corn sank. We'll try again tomorrow depending on storms

I'm sure the 8 inches is fine from weight to hook, the distance for the bobber is dependent on how deep the water is. If your fishing in 10 feet of water the bobber being 16 inches from the hook is not going produce very exciting fishing, unless the fish are suspended between 8 and 9 feet off the bottom. Also it depends on weeds, if your in 10 feet of water with thick weeds 8 feet in length then your setup is probably as good as it gets. I usually try to set the bobber 1-2 feet off the bottom. But you kinda just need to figure out where the pan fish are hanging out and set the bobber accordingly.

Good luck. Wish I was camping.
Forgot to add that corn is what we used for carp on the river, but when I was young we always grabbed some hot dogs and put little chunks on the hook for panfish, or as someone already said I'm sure the local bait shop or gas station would have a container of worms.

Yep depends on how deep the water is. If it's 6' or so then I'll use 3' between the bobber and hook, split shot weight maybe 8" from hook. Don't get discouraged though, I get skunked plenty of times and I'm decent at fishing.

Noting wrong with bottom fishing either if it's not real rocky. A split shot up 4" from the hook, worms and corn are best for most bottom feeding fish. And a good idea on the hot dogs too.

Norm and Jstrand thanks. Exactly what I wanted to know. Not sure how deep water is but its deeper than my hook needed to go, probably 10ft. I'll adjust tonorrow.

And granted sometimes fish just don't bite in the whopping hour I was there before we came back. Gonna try and find some worms tomorrow in the morning and give it another whirl.

looks like you got your answer, and I agree setup 3 for what you got going especially for little ones.

Norm and Jstrand thanks. Exactly what I wanted to know. Not sure how deep water is but its deeper than my hook needed to go, probably 10ft. I'll adjust tonorrow.

And granted sometimes fish just don't bite in the whopping hour I was there before we came back. Gonna try and find some worms tomorrow in the morning and give it another whirl.

Yup, sometimes they don't bite. You could set the bobber at about 10 feet throw it out, if it lays on it's side it's on the bottom or in weeds, keep moving the bobber towards the hook, maybe a foot at a time until the bobber sits correctly. Try it for a while and maybe move it one way or the other util something hits.
Not sure what it's like out there but if there is lilly pads and weeds along the shore throw back towards the edge of the weeds usually panfish and bass will be hanging out around there. Should be able to get something on the line for the kids.

Good luck

More campfire cooking from today. Lunch was one hotdog for the older one and wife wanted all the leftover steak. I then pan warmed up a classy Walmart Italian sub in the steak fat.

Dinner as friends arrived tonight was more dogs for their kids and I brought some of my uncased wasabi pickle sausage meat for burgers.

3a4e66ec2c7b0cc5b3668ea40be714d6.jpg
3a09dd1de29d490b433c24e74faafb34.jpg
142f9bde06d4f259601ef7b220220361.jpg
73dd458f43ec1e6418f2a60bfca1a4c4.jpg
c3b0247ec6971db4bae539feb5ba8646.jpg
9f963acf72315d789e46e857d8e29941.jpg
8f7148e468b5f8ae0e4a28b6605bb388.jpg
1ad187e9218bc62292902e00d3c04b20.jpg
f0347e18ea92580916488796a03d7461.jpg

All the food looks good, but we want to see some fresh caught fish on the grill before the weekend is over.

Nice choice on your camper, that is the one my wife and I like. How do you like it?

Use setup 3 for panfish and kids. Hotdogs work great for panfish if no worms (or crickets). First couple hours of the day usually best for panfish biting (especially in shallower water)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back