1st Timer / Brisket on WSM

Ok now I have a question. Why the big flux in temp preference? Someone posted, let it cook to 145*, others to 200*. Is there any reasoning to this?

What Pat meant is after the brisket is done you can hold it in a cooler or something and let it cool down to 145 then then slice and serve. He knows what he is talking about.

Your plan is solid but I would go for a minimum pit temp of 275. Spraying is totally unnecessary.

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB h

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Here is a question for you bludawg...if you are wanting to remove the point for burnt ends...I know you don't...but what if. Do you remove it before butcher paper is applied or cook it all the way and remove and rewrap for cool down?

Here is a question for you bludawg...if you are wanting to remove the point for burnt ends...I know you don't...but what if. Do you remove it before butcher paper is applied or cook it all the way and remove and rewrap for cool down?

If you are doing this, seperate the point at 160°.

Wrap the flat or not until it is probe tender.

The point, cube it up, put in a pan with your favorite sauce or rub and cook another hour to hour and a half. I think...this is "burnt ends"...??? Maybe.:wink:

If you are doing this, seperate the point at 160°.

Wrap the flat or not until it is probe tender.

The point, cube it up, put in a pan with your favorite sauce or rub and cook another hour to hour and a half. I think...this is "burnt ends"...??? Maybe.:wink:

Yep...what I thought Pat...only I finish my BE different....separate...heavy on the rub...cook about two hours past the flat...cool a bit....cube and serve.

I like to run around 250-275°. I also have been converted to no water in the pan. I'll cook it till its just a little bit tuff in the thickest part of the flat, usually 195 °. then I'll foil it ( if its not already ) and let it set in a cooler for 2-3hrs. This works pretty well for me. good luck with your cook! Remember some pix!

I'm 3 and a half hours in and the temp is going between 265 and 280ish. Had some trouble stabilizing the temp for the first few hours (never realized how tossing an enormous hunk of meat on there could so heavily influence the temp). But I have had blue smoke for the last couple of hours so I should be good.

I"d do it after the brisket has passed the poke to get as much mileage out of the time it's wrapped

So for you WSM users out there. What do you do to get the temperature stabilized? When I do spare ribs and butts I just toss half a chimney on there and it stabilizes and sticks right where I want it. I'm finding this to be more challenging. I filled it with unlit charcoal then put about 3/4 of a chimney on and it never went past 230. It was way too cool, so I opened the fire chamber and it shot up to like 340 in a mere few minutes. It took me another hour or so to stabilize it. Anyway. What should I do differently next time?

Open all the intakes. Don't slap it together so soon leave the top off and let the steel warm up for 10- 15 min. Put the top on and start to close your intakes when you are with in 50 deg of your desired temp. give it time to react between adjustments typically 15 min. much easier to catch it on the way up. It gets easier with practice & experience, I set mine where I know it will give me what I'm looking for by instinct. Keep your wits and make small adj give it time to respond. Cookers are like wimen you need to tickle 'em just right warm 'em up slow once they get hot they go fer hrs.

I'm a fan of using water in the pan for temp regulation. If you have the pan half full of hot water, and at least one chimney of hot coals, you're going to be around 275 with the vents open. I don't think you'd get hotter than 300, and if you do, partially closing the bottom vents will get you to where you want to be.

UDS Bluedawg Brisket

I want to cook a brisket on Labor Day on my UDS, I use a pizza pan to deflect the heat. Using Bludawg method should the brisket be fat side down at 275-300F or fat side up?

11951219_10153122236796989_451955968998158294_n.jpg

Ok. Time to wrap? My gut is telling me to let a little more bark form. I'm 5 1/2 hours in.

Wrapped. I'm going by feel and not temperature. So I guess I just check it in about two hours and see if it's jiggly? If not, keep it going.

Back