The 2009 Post Labor Day charcoal blowout thread

Professor Salt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Last year after the holiday weekend was over, I found super blowout prices ($2.49 for 18 pounds) on charcoal at CVS, and stocked up.

I thought I'd start this thread to track who's got great prices. Please add where you found great deals this year.

OnEdit: I guess there's a profanity filter that edits out the word b l o w o u t. Don't ask me why.

Admin note. This was corrected.

I thought I was reading a thread here. I didn't know it was going to be a farkin crossword puzzle! :-D

Let's see, how do you spell... f... u... no, no, s...u... no, that's not it! Fark!

calif basically has bbq weather year round and yet we have bbq season according to the big boxes. course they are all owned by folks in the east !

I saw the CVS add last night. 40% off. Not sure what their regular retail $$ is.

Last year, CVS had Royal Oak briquettes on "sale" during the Labor Day weekend for like $4 something range. Then the following Monday rolled around, and they dropped the price to $2 something.

Last year, CVS had Royal Oak briquettes on "sale" during the Labor Day weekend for like $4 something range. Then the following Monday rolled around, and they dropped the price to $2 something.

That's exactly what we must watch for. They may not advertise the second markdown. I have 3 CVS's within stiking distance. All you OC guys stay in OC.

calif basically has bbq weather year round and yet we have bbq season according to the big boxes. course they are all owned by folks in the east !

You say east like it's a bad thing... :cool:

Menards has Royal Oak for $4.49 an 18# bag, now through Labor Day.

Lowes has 18 lb bags of Kingsford, buy one get on free through Monday..

Bought 12 bags this morning..

Yesterday, I located a nearby CVS with more than a pallet of Royal Oak briquettes. They were still priced at $7.50 a bag, but the manager told me that it's likely prices should drop next week to clear out the "summer" items. Which is hilarious to me, since we don't have a "autumn" or "winter" in So Cal.

The manager said typically, they drop prices incrementally - a little the first week, then more the next week. Luckily, the charcoal at this store had been pulled off the floor and were sitting in the warehouse. Just because you don't see it on the floor doesn't mean they're out.

Since my store's inventory is hidden from view, I can take my sweet time, and wait until the prices drop to less than $3 a bag. That's what I paid last year.

Last year, the price drops started over the Labor Day weekend. This year - he guesses corporate took a different strategy.

Lowes in Houston apparently had the 18lb. bag of Kingsford at $8 & change with a BOGO but they sold out before I got there.

Albertson's has 18lbs of kingsford for $6.49. I am going to try the coupon today:twisted:

Back