View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
In my mind here is how you look at the difference:

- Liquid Brines are salt-based solutions allowing you to introduce moisture into protein via osmosis. The brine migrates from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration like the cell structure of your meat. My favorite applications for liquid brines are lean poultry and pork. Brining for too long can change the texture of your meat, especially in poultry creating an unpleasant rubbery texture. I shoot for one hour of brine time per pound of meat.

- Phosphate Injections encourage the cell structure of your protein to "hold on" to moisture. Inject two briskets side-by-side one with phosphates and one with just beef broth and see by weight which one retains more moisture. (Hint, beef broth dribbles right out) I only inject phosphate solutions like Butcher's Prime or Kosmos Q into Brisket the night before I smoke it, mostly focused on the flat.

Hope that helps!
That is a good assessment. Texture change happens when there is strong brine and long brine times. Lite brines allow more control. Phosphates change the pH of the meat which allows the proteins to hold more liquid.

I've only used AmesPhos, but I would assume Butcher's or Kosmo's outsource the production of their phosphate products to a commercial manufacturer. Joe Ames was the developer of the FAB line of competition injections maybe 20 or 25 years ago, and it's probably responsible for all the future competition injection products.

I'm currently testing Big Poppa Smokers 'Cattle Prod' and 'Pork Prod' injections and having some really good results.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.