Frozen Brisket

tcards

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
John
Digging deep in my freezer on the bottom I found a brisket I did not remember having. It is 3 years old. Looks good. Would you spend the time smoking it or should I toss?

Last edited:
It is cryovaced. Just dont want to get sick or spend a whole day smoking for to taste bad.

Use it, 100% it will be ok as long as it never thawed out. My father in law was a meat cutter for 50+ years, my wife was a meat cutter for almost 20. They convinced me to not throw out some frozen pork butts and turkeys i had that were 2-3 years frozen. Came out absolutely perfect.

Just cooked up a 4 year old SRF brisket I had in the bottom of the freezer My freezer runs -15 or so. But the brisket tasted great. I believe several gave it the best brisket ever, but none of them had tasted SRF before

Cook it.

Can't remember but I cooked one around that age. It wasn't as flavorful as usual but not bad.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

As far as food safety, I would cook it. If I had an automated "set and forget" type smoker I would cook it. If you cook on an offset/stick burner, I'd wait until I was cooking something else so that you would minimize any wasted time. Ie to thaw, season, trim.......

I just found some 2019 brisket in my deep freezer a 1 1/2 weeks ago. I put some smoke on it and finished in a hotel pan over a Sam Adams beer and made some mighty fine chili with it. Shared with Family and nobody fell ill.

Back