Sold Jambo...now to gravity feed?

ntmeyer

Found some matches.
Reaction score
LOVED THE JAMBO... but wife asked for smaller footprint on patio and said to buy what I want. Have 2kids active in sports, so need something I can be away from for hours. Couldn’t do this with Jambo, so it didn’t get used as much as I’d like. Will likely get guru or similar to help manage when remote.

Looking for something slightly larger cooking space and hate managing water pans/grease. Still have nightmares of the WSM days, even if I loved the bbq.

Leaning towards gravity feed, specifically stumps baby xl since it seems to have the best grease management approach and does not require water pan. Also looked at the assassin 28 model, but Grease management approach seems to be a little messier perhaps. Also looked at the Myron Mixon G 20, but appears to be new and requires water pan.

Other than the stumps, are there other options I should consider that meet the quality, cooking space, Grease management /water requirements?

Happy to make trade-offs like we all do, but thought I would ask the brethren For their thoughts given all the experience on this forum.

Looking forward to all the advice and debate thanks!!!

TK Smokers. PJ has one and can answer any question you might habe. He did a brisket on it today.

Southern Q is another option. Has a sloped to the center floor and a pan can be slid in the bottom underneath the smoker. I’ve started smoking in pans to minimize cleanup.

I did move from a vertical cabinet with water pan, and I love not messing with that anymore.

Todd

TK Smokers. PJ has one and can answer any question you might habe. He did a brisket on it today.
Yep. Loving my T&K more with every cook. Todd has a unique approach to the grease drain issue you mentioned. He uses a pan, not a water pan, that mounts right above the heat diverter. I line mine with foil for easy cleanup. He can also do a grease drain if you want. Bottom rack stays way cooler than most others so it's usable. Give him a call, he's a BBQ comp guy so he loves talking about BBQ in general. I also like his design over the basic rectangle box. The wheels are outside the frame so it's very stable when moving.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just went through this journey . Two kids make it hard burn sticks for sure , I know from experience . I’m pleased with my Pitmaker Vault . Burns sticks with set and forget capability . A brethren in Alabama has one for sale in classified section. I know it’s not gravity fed but it’s solving the same problem. How can you be a good dad while still churning out killer Que? Pitmaker Vault is one good answer among many

Assassin, Stumps, Deep South, Myron Mixon, Southern Q, and a few others are all pretty competitive with each other.

A traditional Insulated Vertical will give you more capacity with less 'floorspace' which, along with more family time, seems to be the driving factor for this purchase.

For smaller size, I would consider the Humphrey's slightly over the Backwoods units. In the end, Lone Star Grillz out of Willis, TX is most likely where I will go.

I'm not sure about the fascination of gravity fed smokers personally over a good Insulated Vertical Cabinet model like the LSG. If a fully loaded charcoal basket will run 30+ hours, why do I need a gravity fed unit? Humphrey and Backwoods will run 8~12 hours for most cooks so, again why mess with the charcoal chute?

LSG IVC
Humphrey Saturday Special
Humphrey Long Weekender

Sid Post is right on point.
I like my Deep South GC28, temperature is pretty much dead on throughout the smoker. It's all welded up no rivets or screws to come lose. It's the Cadillac of gravity fed smokers.
Do your research and watch videos to help figure out which smoker is best for you.

Assassin's grease pan/heat deflector is beveled to the center & grease funnels down a tube to a disposable pan resting on rails beneath the cooker. I line my deflector with foil, cut an X over the center hole & fold the flaps down inside the tube. The grease drips right into the throw away pan. I've even used half pans to catch the grease. After it all cools down, I just roll up the foil off the grease deflector, toss it & put on a new layer.

Assassin's grease pan/heat deflector is beveled to the center & grease funnels down a tube to a disposable pan resting on rails beneath the cooker. I line my deflector with foil, cut an X over the center hole & fold the flaps down inside the tube. The grease drips right into the throw away pan. I've even used half pans to catch the grease. After it all cools down, I just roll up the foil off the grease deflector, toss it & put on a new layer.

I do the exact same thing with mine and it works very well.

Love my Stumps. I have a Classic. I don’t need all the space all the time, but when i need it, the size is amazing.
I did ribs and 2 chuck roasts over the weekend. One of the chuckies is going into the Instant Pot tonight with a bunch of veggies and some gravy mix.

I wanted a Stumps Baby XL so bad!!! But, I was fortunate to have a friend with a plasma cutter and built a knock-off (bought plans online) for about $1100.

Anyway, it sounds like you're on the correct path for a great cooker. I have the guru, but I am just now switching over to fireboard.com. They just released a control cable so that you can adjust your temps remotely. The GUI is very pretty compared to the Cyber-Q.

Good luck!

Stick burner for 25 yrs, but loving my Pitmaker Vault. Like Notorious Que stated, kind of the best of both worlds with a little sacrifice from each.

Back