First Cook in XL Big Green Egg

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Ok, here's my first stuff... Had pork tenderloin off of it tonight... delicious!
2482263474_6350ac3275.jpg

2481452165_5ccabb8c54.jpg

Pork Tenderloin, with mixed greens w/ balsamic vinaigrette. The tenderloin was slathered with seedless blackberry preserves, chipotle chile powder, salt and pepper.
2482263984_59bc747a18.jpg

Then I made a blackberry/chipotle sauce to try on it.. defintely worth doing again!
2481452503_cc96dc4e81.jpg

2 Butts and 2 brisket flats are currently going; I'm hoping they last all night. The egg has been running in the 210-220 range all evening, and I'm just hoping I can trust it overnight!

Last edited:
you might wanna bump that dome temp up to around 250... the dome temp is usually higher than the grid temp at the beginning of an indirect smoke. seen a lot of people's fires go out overnight when they smoked at lower than 250. also, fashion a wiggle rod out of some wire or a hangar or something to wiggle up thru the holes in the charcoal grate from below through the lower draft door. this will stir the lump and knock any ashes thru the holes.

if the egg's been stable at 220 all evening, you shouldn't have a problem though.

looks like you took the firering out?

oh yeah... nice shots!

Yeah, i took the fire ring out to make sure everything fit... plate setter is underneath with foil over to save it from getting too much fat on it first cook.

Yeah, i took the fire ring out to make sure everything fit... plate setter is underneath with foil over to save it from getting too much fat on it first cook.

i always use a drip pan. the short legs of the xl plate setter make the drip pan a little tricky

watch the stem of the thermometer if you really have it packed in there and use a spacer if necessary so the stem doesn't stick in so far. doesn't look like a problem for this cook.

so how many hours do you plan on sleeping before checking the egg?

I'm going to check it in about 5 minutes, then probably aroudn 6:30, so about 6 1/2 hours... too long?

I'm going to check it in about 5 minutes, then probably aroudn 6:30, so about 6 1/2 hours... too long?

use the force, curt!

i've never done an overnighter on an xl, soooooo...
good luck. should be alright if you've been stable for awhile. i'd give her a stir with a wiggle rod though

I just checked everything... seems to be riding nicely at 220 ish.. I wiggled stuff around,, some ash fell out... still sitting where I want it, I think!

The third and fourth picture look like they came out of a magazine. Nice job. I'll bet that was delicious.

I woke up at 5:45 am, went out to check, and it's pouring! Things are close to done, so I'll keep things moving along.

I woke up at 5:45 am, went out to check, and it's pouring! Things are close to done, so I'll keep things moving along.

i forgot to tell you this part... get a rain cap for the metal top to keep the rain out or use an easy-up like i do

Congrats on your new toy Curt! :p Looks like you've found the perfect mentor as well...:biggrin:

Curt, can you share the details of the blackberry chipotle sauce? I need to make some of that and it will save me from experimenting. I know yours is going to be good.

Curt, can you share the details of the blackberry chipotle sauce? I need to make some of that and it will save me from experimenting. I know yours is going to be good.

i'd like details of that too. i love pork tenderloins!

I had some seedless blackberry preserves, which I slathered on the tenderloins, along with powdered chipotles, though I think next time I make blend whole chipotles with the preserves to try it.

For the sauce, I diluted the preserves about 1:1 with water, maybe a bit more, and I added some chipotle Tabasco, to taste. I heated it up and made sure the texture was smooth (whisked the preserves into the water). That was it... though I think next time I may also try a pinot noir reduction with chipotle.

I finished things up, but with it being mom's day, I didn't take shots until later. I made a trio of barbecue sliders, 2 brisket on small rosemary rolls and one pulled pork on multgrain. Here are some shots:

2485425944_be074d07bc.jpg

2485425008_41ddec1ee3.jpg

2485424780_bb9ab1e5e9.jpg

2484608299_dae4f6577c.jpg

I just realized I forgot to post the last part of the cook... I farked it... when it was raining, I thought things were still moving along well, and I shut the intake down too far!

I ended up killing my fire, but at least I learned where 'too far' is in shutting down the intake.

I finished the brisket and pork in the oven in foil. It finished ok, but I would have preferred finishing on the Egg; with the pouring rain, I wasn't going to fight it, though.

Back