Suggestions on a grill

If you have $800 to spend honestly I'd buy both. I'd get a new performer from Amazon and then find a nice used Genesis E320 on craigslist. I use my performer whenever I can but sometimes gas is just easier.

I want to thank everyone for the help and info. I think it's going to be a performer or a Genesis. Thanks again!!

My Genesis gave me 12 years of troublefree, heavy use. I just put new guts throughout and will count on another 12 years! Can't beat that.

I have a UDS (new) a 22.5" OTG and the Genesis. So far, it looks like they will all get used pretty equally. However, I'd consider modding the UDS for grilling and selling off my OTG. It's a shame though....I just bought the OTG.

I couldn't be without the Genesis for those rushed workday evenings when I just want a quick chicken breast or burger.

So far I've been very happy with this grill from Sam's.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111821

I've not taken the time to update the thread but I've used all three cooking surfaces and have had no problems. The gas and charcoal sides are each 360 sq inches. You can not snuff out the coals but I do like the feature of being able to get to the coals without removing the grates.

I've used the charcoal side for burgers, tenderloin, and chops. I've used the gas side for brats, burgers, chicken satay, and to reheat/grill a TV dinner :biggrin1:.

And I've used the infrared for chicken wings and making bacon in a cast iron skillet.

I also have a BGE that is getting a little cranky but for quick grilling and ease of use this is my new goto grill.

Its not a weber and it was a pita to put together but for $250 I'm very happy.

Mak Grills makes wood pellet grills. I haven't used one but it's something worth throwing in the mix.

OK well it's official.. I just ordered a Performer w/a cover at Amazon. I will then buy the conversion hose from HD. Looking forward to it.. It's funny how the more things change the more they stay the same.

As a child we always had a charcoal grill.... My pops wouldn't spring for a LP grill. And as I became a teenager I persuaded him to get a cheap one. We only used it a hand full of times. I then moved out and he went back to his lil weber kettle.

What convinced me to buy charcoal and not LP was he grilled sausage from home, brought it to my house and we reheated it. It tasted better then anything I could have done on my coffin size Coleman SS Grill. Can't wait!!

Can someone please confirm this for me please. I am pretty sure that I should NOT season a Performer. I think I read it here.

Also is there anything I should get to make this better and/or more convenient? I do plan on getting cast iron grates for this... I saw them on Amazon for like $90.

Amazon.com: Cast Iron Grate, Pre Seasoned, Non Stick Cooking Surface, Modular Fits 22.5" Grills: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IhNzBkTML.@@AMEPARAM@@51IhNzBkTML

Once again thanks for the help!!

Good choice.

When it comes to BTUs, gassers can't touch a good charcoal grill. Set your Weber kettle up with hot and "cool" sides, and you can make an awesome steak. Use less charcoal and adjust your airflow down for chicken. Set up for indirect cooking, and you can smoke food in it.

You don't need to season the grill, but on your first cook, I would get the temperature up and let any funk from manufacturing burn off before putting meat on it.

I suggest you take your CI grates off the cooker after they cool, and store them inside. Mine rusted pretty easily if I left them outside with the grill. I hang all my grates on the wall in my garage, and that has worked well for me.

CD

I seasoned my kettle and I keep it a little seasoned, just wiping the inside from time to time and taking a brass brush to the lid interior and grates as needed. I have no problem with rust. I do not have cast iron grates, but, I keep a cast iron skillet in the kettle from late March through November with no rust issues.

weber ranch.

a bit higher than the $850, but DAYUM that is alot of grill.

otherwise go with 26" weber. it can do ANYTHING.

woops...shoulda read the whole thread.

nice choice!

Boogiesnap: lol... The kettle is very nice.. but it's too much grill for me and I needed something with a table, since my last grill had two shelves. If they made a 26" performer I wud have stepped up to that.

Landarc: when you said you season it... as in the whole inside or just the grates? B/c I rather season it while it's still clean.

Caseydog: ty for the tip on the CI.

I know this is an old thread but I felt I wanted to update it on my purchase. I bought the Weber Performer. Toss in the cover, and the adapter to use my 24lb propane tank and I am in love. I have not missed a gas grill at all, and I mean at all.

I load the two coal holders w/ Kings Orig, place both over the pipe and let the flame go for 5 min. I then turn off the gas assist, adjust my grates and coal placement and let the coals get ready. 5 min later I'm ready to cook.

Within 10 min I am cooking, simple as that. Vent control is done with 1 finger, and cleaning the ash is supper easy thanks to the "pot" that collects it all. Keeps everything real clean and real simple.

Thanks again everyone for helping me make an educated purchase. Nothing sux more then spending good money on something you hate and regret!

Back