CI Spicy Cinnamon Apple Shortcake

T

The BBQ QB

I had originally intended to submit the Pineapple Upside-Down Flan I posted earlier in the week, but noticed that someone else had submitted a Pineapple Upside Down Cake for their first throwdown entry. In the spirit of competition and fun, I felt I would do something else and not dilute that excellent entry. (Yeah, it’s an excuse to play with my grills and Cast Iron some more.)

So this is what I came up with.
PlatedAppleShortcake.jpg

This is a cook I’ve done on several occasions while on Boy Scout trips. It is easy, involves only two ingredients and is one of the most fantastic tasting baked apple desserts. Throw a slab of cheddar cheese on top of the raw apple mix from the Dutch Oven and you won’t believe it isn’t mom’s best Cinnamon apple pie.

This one is done in a #10 in the grill preheated to 350 degrees.

CastIronNumber10.jpg

For the DO cook use:

1 - 1.5 Cup Cinnamon Red Hot Hearts. (Yes, the candy)
8 Granny Smith Apples Peeled, cored and sliced

ApplesAndCinnamonHearts.jpg

ApplesAndHeartsMixed.jpg

Fill the Dutch Oven with Apple slices, add in the Hearts and place on a preheated and stabilized indirect 350 degree grill.

ApplesJustPutOnGrill.jpg

Let the mix sit for about 20 minutes, waiting for the hearts to melt, stir it once or twice to get all the hearts to the bottom and into the sauce. Once the hearts are melted stir the apples every 10 minutes or so until the apples are tender and bright red.

ApplesDoneOnGrill.jpg

Remove from the heat. At this point you can plate and eat the apples just as they are. (With Cheddar Cheese)

But, being Easter, I felt a nod to the venerable Strawberry Shortcake might be a decent flavor combination.

So, you’ll need:

8 Shortcakes (2 packages)
8 Medium Strawberries
1 Cup whipped Cream
Shaved Chocolate from the ears of one large Chocolate Bunny

Place a Shortcake on a plate and spoon 1 Tsp of the Cinnamon Heart Juice onto the Shortcake sponge. Lay 5-6 apple slices in a fan pattern onto the shortcake and place a reasonable tablespoon dollop of Whipped Cream in the middle of the apple slices. Remove the stem from a strawberry and cut that end flat. Place it flat side down into the Whipped Cream in the middle of the apple fan.

Sprinkle shaved milk chocolate over the entire thing and drip a little sauce on the plate.
A very pretty presentation and great tasting dessert.

CloseUpAppleShortcake.jpg

Thanx for looking and please try this one out, you won’t be disappointed.

Mike D

Wow, that's a truly awesome dessert. I love showing Scouts how to cook - it's great fun when they discover that pop tarts and cold hot dogs are not good eats!

Back