• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is uncovered poultry in the frige over night bad?

Yellowhair42

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
On another group I belong to this question came up. I said it was OK but others said it was bad because air is bad for poultry. What opinions do you guys have?

I do it all the time after brining to let the chicken dry out.

That's what I said and they're all about air is bad for poultry. Oh well, just trying to help someone.

When i go to smaller markets all the meat is unwrapped exposed to air on the case, even the chicken. Some folks over think things

Recent articles indicated the store bought chicken is so contaminated with bacteria that you shouldn't even wash it to prevent spreading it around the kitchen. You really want that uncontained in the fridge.

YMMV

There are many cultures that air-dry their poultry, and even at room temperatures(!) This is traditional in many regions. I haven't tried it, but I've read that it tastes like it's gone bad -- apparently it's an acquired taste. I am reminded of those half-hatched chicken eggs that you see in markets in China, all out for goodness knows how many days in 90 degree heat -- no, I haven't tried those either, but I'm sure people eat them without dying or they wouldn't have many repeat customers. Due to the processing of chicken in the US, there is a great deal of contamination and a huge amount of bacteria. I don't want to take the chance of anything coming into contact with it and keep it covered. Cross-contamination is my biggest concern.

I agree with the Ninja, always agree with Ninjas....It would be fine to leave it open at home, but not in a restaurant as certain city's food codes dont allow it. I rinse my poultry, fish, and pork that's in cryopacks. Rinsing is fine too, as long as you clean your surfaces properly and do not use porous surfaces for prep. Two cents. :p

I agree with the Ninja, always agree with Ninjas....It would be fine to leave it open at home, but not in a restaurant as certain city's food codes dont allow it. I rinse my poultry, fish, and pork that's in cryopacks. Rinsing is fine too, as long as you clean your surfaces properly and do not use porous surfaces for prep. Two cents. :p

Might want to freshen up on national news!

Rinsing poses a problem due to splatter of water. No splatter in fridge. Again how is poultry presented at a meat market.

Quick, everyone quit eating poultry immediately!! The fact that we have been eating it for over 70 years ( for me anyway ) and I/we are still alive and well has nothing to do with it! Our big government in all their wisdom knows what is best for us sheeple. After all look at Obamacare and what a great thing that is.

Now I won't be able to sleep tonight thinking about the two chickens I cooked and ate last week that I rinsed, not once, but twice, and then left in the fridge open to the air for about 3 hours before cooking in the enclosed air space in my OTG. In case I am unable to return to this forum tomorrow, It has been an enjoyable time spent here for the last few years. If my wife survives, she may have my BBQ gear up for sale later in the month.

Omar

Great! Now i cant give my chickens a nice bath before i get em all dressed up for their show! Thanks a lot fellas! Poor chickens will be disappointed....

Back