View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #31
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

NOTE: Try to avoid, if at all possible, shooting your food under fluorescent lighting.

I'm seeing throwdown photos being posted that were obviously shot under fluorescent lights. Fluorescent lighting, unless it is pricey color corrected fluorescent lighting, just doesn't make food look appetizing. It has a narrow, and very green color spectrum.

Your food will come out with a green cast, and the contrast will probably be pretty flat if you shoot under fluorescent lighting. And, even if you correct your photos in Photoshop, your results will not be as appetizing as your food is.

Indirect sunlight would be my first choice. Direct sunlight (from the side) would work, too, although your contrast my be a bitt to high.

Flash works, although it is best for food if you can move the flash off the camera, and point it at the food from the side, and somewhat above the food. That gives you nice highlights and shadows, which gives your food more depth. If you use a flash on top of a digital SLR, Gary Fong's Lightsphere system really does a good job of improving your flash photos. Really, I use it for some of my professional photography, and it works. http://www.garyfongestore.com/flash-accessories.html

Incandescent light will work, but your food may look too yellow, but that is preferable to too green, by a long way. Plus, you can EASILY correct for incandescent light in Photoshop.

Again, avoid fluorescent like the plague, unless you like flat, green food.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->