• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What IT for Pastrami?

Just BS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I found a chunk of corned beef in the freezer. Soaked it in water and rubbed it with Third Eye's recipe. Threw it on the UDS @ 250 but I'm not sure how long to cook it for because his recipe calls for brisket and mine is a piece of top round (about three pounds). Any idea what my IT should be and how long will it take? Thanks Brothers!

Cook it until it probes tender much like brisket. Should be around 6 to 8 hours at 250 if you are not wrapping.

I have been researching pastrami for the last week because I'm starting on my first attempt at it from scratch today. Everything I have read so far indicates that a good path for cooking it would be to go to 160 and then foil it with a little added liquid. Then take it to 180 or so then rest it from there. I don't think you would want the pastrami quite as tender as a fully cooked brisket if you plan to slice it thin. I could be wrong but that is the path I'm planning to take on this one. I just finished getting the cure and rub on mine and it's vacuum sealed and in the fridge until next weekend now...

I cook my pastrami exactly as I do BBQ brisket. When the meat cools, it tightens up too. But, I don't cook brisket until it falls apart just to pull apart tenderness and never pull it from the cooker until it probes tender. The pastrami always comes out tender and delicious hot or cold. In fact, I have one ready to be cooked tomorrow. Can't wait!

I found a chunk of corned beef in the freezer. Soaked it in water and rubbed it with Third Eye's recipe. Threw it on the UDS @ 250 but I'm not sure how long to cook it for because his recipe calls for brisket and mine is a piece of top round (about three pounds). Any idea what my IT should be and how long will it take? Thanks Brothers!

DSC07698a.jpg

I really like the corned rounds.... I didn't see any at the market last year. You only need to smoke that guy until it's in the 150°'s, and I either do a regular or a foil finish/rest on them..... no need for the pressure finish option like you could do on a corned brislet flat.

As far as cook time, it depends on how square your roast is, but I'm guessing 2-1/2 or 3 hours.... just monitor the temp after the first hour. Here is a shot of a corned round I chilled overnight before slicing.

DSC07709a.jpg

Now I'm starting to get excited after seeing that photo! I can't wait to have some homemade pastrami for some sort of kickarse sammiches...

DSC07698a.jpg

I really like the corned rounds.... I didn't see any at the market last year. You only need to smoke that guy until it's in the 150°'s, and I either do a regular or a foil finish/rest on them..... no need for the pressure finish option like you could do on a corned brislet flat.

As far as cook time, it depends on how square your roast is, but I'm guessing 2-1/2 or 3 hours.... just monitor the temp after the first hour. Here is a shot of a corned round I chilled overnight before slicing.

DSC07709a.jpg

Thanks farker......now I have to have quiet time................:twitch::twitch:

DSC07698a.jpg

DSC07709a.jpg

Looks awesome, Thirdeye!

Here is one I cooked like a brisket. It was tender, juicy, and very tasty!

picture.php

Oh -oh.....

I just saw this (my own) updated thread. Had to run out and pull it after 4 hrs. Cook temp ranged closer to 225. IT was 169.

Resting uncovered on the cutting board right now. Rye bread, mustard & pickles standing by.

This is my first attempt, and the corned beef has been in the freezer since last March, so I'm not stressing over it. Just having a beer, watching football and gonna make a sandwich in a bit...
No complaints! :mrgreen:

Back