WSM water pan

Prestige World Wide

Reaction score
I just got my new WSM 22 in the mail and am ready to start smoking on it. What are some opinions on the water pan? I bought a PID controller so temp control should be easy. Run it dry or filled? Does it differ for meat that is easier to dry out like Brisket? Thanks for the advice. I'll Be sure to post on my first cook.

I haven't noticed any extra moisture from the water pan. It never really boils like a backwoods. Try it both with water and dry/foiled and see what you like. I don't use water anymore and don't have temp issues getting hot. If I had to guess I would say most folks around here run it dry/foiled or some even use a terra cotta pot in there.

It's there to help regulate temp basically, not help with moisture at all. I used it a few times, decided it was a pain and a waste of fuel, and now just cover it with foil for easy clean up.

Just foil the water pan. I was a "water in the pan" guy for a LOOOOOOONG time till I experimented without it. With a controller there is really no need for water in the pan since the controller does the stabilizing for you. I also use a foiled clay pot saucer in the bottom, but it isn't completely necessary.

Also, cleanup is WAY easier without the nasty drippings water!

yeah, if you have a PID, forget about water in the pan. Just foil and toss a teracota pot base in there to act as a heat sink. Pretty reliable and saves fuel.

Man i haven't used my poor wsm in a bit :sad:. I stopped using water in the pan for the most part. If i didn't have a pit therm id probably use water. I like therms in closed minion fired cookers because it
Lets me know whats going on without opening things up. Water would assure i have stable temps without it.

Doesn't it act as a deflector also? I use mine foiled with a terra cotta pot bottom. Works well. Water was a pain in the neck.

I used mine with and without water and didn't notice any difference in result. as was said before, it's more of a heat regulator. to that end, I filled mine with foil balls and put some foil over the top and now just switch out the top foil as needed. works like a charm.

I do not use one in mine. I purchased a clay flower pot saucer to take its place to diffuse the heat.

I use playground sand with foil,keeps temps regulated better and can get hotter if needed,I started with water and its a pain in da buttocks and no difference in moisture in meat. My 2cents

I have mine filled with ceramic briquettes and wrapped in foil. Before that I used a foil wrapped clay flowerpot tray

Dry Brisket is a result of under cooking I run 3 " of Dollar store cat litter in my water pan. covered with foil

There is a benefit to keep the humidity high in the cooker, helps the smoke adhere and can prevent surface burning

Back