2nd Brisket Ever - 1st Was 3 Years ago

wire-it-up

is one Smokin' Farker
I've been scared to spend the money on brisket. But I think I finally got comfortable enough with producing consistent results with pulled pork, which I was using as "training" before getting into the brisket game.

For this cook, I'm following guidelines by both Franklin, and Malcom Reed. We have guests coming at 5, and this went into the Humphrey's Weekender at 5:30 AM. Got up at 4:45. Not feeling too shabby, considering the hours I'm keeping today.

Here's a shot right before wrapping, and then wrapped.

Last edited:
How are you liking that Weekender? I think if I came into some disposable income, it'd be a good fit for me.

Good luck on your cook - don't be scared to spend money on a brisket. Even a non-perfect brisket is pretty damned good (I know because I've perfected the non-perfect brisket to the point I can do one drunk :grin:)

LOL, love that last line.

My Weekender is the best smoker habit purchase I've made yet (and I've made a lot of purchases since I acquired the disease). I only have 1 regret... I wish I could have afforded a bigger one.

I have not smoked many briskets, but I find them very forgiving, like pork butts, Easy if you have the time and patience. I think anything that you cook long enough to get to the connecting tissue willbe that way. It is the things that are easier to overcook - prime ribs, chicken, turkey, etc. that are, to me, more difficult.

Last edited:
Thank you. I hope we are. I'll post a review after our guests leave, as well as slice pics.

I'm glad briskets are forgiving, as I can use all of the grace I can get with doing something new and somewhat expensive.

Fortunately, time and patience are in plentiful supply today.

Lookin' good there!

Just a reminder to slice it against the grain.

Thanks. I may need some help with that. Can you give me any pointers? I had Meathead's book for a short time, and it gave great advice on how to properly slice a brisket, relative to grain direction. But it was a library book and my dear wife returned it when it was due.

I've been scared to spend the money on brisket.

If you look around brisket can be priced reasonably. At the local grocery chain (Pittsburgh area), it's usually about $7.99 for choice. Right down the street is a Gordon Food Service (and a Costco) where it can frequently be found as low as $2.49.

Please post some pics once that baby is sliced up! So far so so good!

If you look around brisket can be priced reasonably. At the local grocery chain (Pittsburgh area), it's usually about $7.99 for choice. Right down the street is a Gordon Food Service (and a Costco) where it can frequently be found as low as $2.49.

Please post some pics once that baby is sliced up! So far so so good!

We have Costco and Gordon's here. I don't have a Costco membership, but I've been thinking about getting one. I'm happy to hear brisket can be found for those kinds of prices. I need to look into it. I got this one at Wal Mart.

Pricing is different all over the map... wife just picked up 2 at Kroger for $1.49/lb- they are "choice" and they usually turn out pretty good. She is getting better at fishing a good 'un out of the cooler- her first attempts caused me to shake my head sadly (cooked them anyway)

I've tried to check brisket prices at various stores Online, but that's not a good way to check. It's best to go into the store. They don't usually post specific meat pricing Online, unless it's in their weekly ad.

Well, it's done. Taking Malcom Reed's advice, I took the flat to 198 internal. The brisket didn't feel like jello flopping in my hands like I've seen Online, which concerned me. But I removed the meat probe and reinserted it in a different location, and it slid right in without resistance. So I think the texture is right. Also, it's wrapped in 3 layers of foil, which could inhibit the flopping motion... another Malcom Reed method. I would have used butcher paper (Franklin method) if I had any, but I don't.

It's resting in an insulated cooler now, with towels (faux cambro, thanks Meathead). I'll capture the juice from the foil and pour it back over the slices, per Malcom.

Looking forward to cutting into this bad boy, and seeing if I did it right.

I'm thinking chili, and tacos, and ??? (with leftovers, if there are any).

Last edited:
Sometimes i think I cook briskets just for the left over meals. Looking forward to the sliced pics

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It may have been done many times here (I'll search the forums), but I'll take any suggestions for reheating and using leftovers in recipes that I can get.

Back