Mustard Before the Rub?

Dubs

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
What are the advantages to putting mustard on ribs, brisket etc. before the rub? Does it help with taste, color for presentation (my ribs sometimes turn out a little dark but the bark is great) or the rub binding? Just curious.

Some who use it claim that it helps hold on the rub, produces a better bark, and the vinegar in the mustard helps tenderize the meat. Personally, I don't see any advantage to using it over something like peanut or olive oil which helps keep rub on the meat too. But, I rarely put anything on the ribs before the rub and have no trouble getting good bark or tender ribs without mustard or oil.

We use mustard "slather" on the picnic shoulders before the 22 hour cook at 225°. Add some rub to the mustard as well. It does make for a very nice bark with complex flavors. One can always find good mustards on close out sale at Big Lots. Read the labels first, but most are very simple ingredients. I DON'T use yellow (paint) mustard....blech!

I use generic store brand spicy Italian dressing. A lot cheaper than olive oil.

Don't waste the mustard it doesn't do anything.

Someone else will say the exact opposite. Both are correct, I suppose.

Yup.....Boshizzle's got it right. They claim that's what it does. Personally, I don't find it necessary. I rubbed 3 racks of ribs, 2 butts and a picnic today with nothing but the rub itself and it stuck just fine.

Couple years ago I did some BB ribs all exactly the same except one rack had a mustard slather before the rub. All were left with the rub and slather about two hours before putting on the smoker. We had several people blind taste the ribs and the one with the mustard slather won. Lots of other possible variables here but ...... ?? I usually slather my ribs and butts.

I use it, can't really give a great reason why, I just like to. I get a huge container at RD for like $7 lasts me a long time

I use it, can't really give a great reason why, I just like to. I get a huge container at RD for like $7 lasts me a long time

Muz - He's talking about using this on animal meats.. not on yourself..

keep that to Woodpile, or better yet.. yourself :wink:.

When I was using mustard slathers, I took a liking to one from Paul Kirk that he called "Art's Mustard Sauce" after Art Brown's BBQ in Kansas.

1c Yellow Mustard
1/4c Pickle Juice
1 tblspn Worstershire Sauce
1/2 tblspn Hot Sauce

Last edited:
I don't think it adds anything to the flavor or tenderness, so I skip the mess. If you want to hold more rub a little oil will do just as well.

I've found that the rub gets lost in the mustard and doesn't penetrate the meat as well. I prefer to pre-rub, let sit for as long as possible. Then apply the mustard slather (or oil) and more rub.

Sometimes I use mustard or garlic aioli on butts & ribs. I don't think it really affects the flavor much - never done a side by side so I can't tell ya, but I think the bark is a little better with a slather. One of these days soon I'd like to a side by side and see if that's actually the case.

I tried mustard for the first time on 4 butts today, just to try it (I didn't do side by side because they were all likely to get pulled and mixed together). It did add a little vinegar flavor which I liked and held the rub nice to make a nice tasty bark (not that olive oil couldn't have done just as well) I will probably do it agan on a butt, but don't see me doing it on ribs..

I tired it several times. No noticeable taste difference and not worth the mess or hassle IMO.

I like mustard on my butts and ribs. It makes a nice moisturizer for my rub to adhere to. I sometimes mix other things with the mustard as well.

I use mustard I have no ideal if it help. But I do think rubbing ribs with some type of light oil does improve the quality. I usually use Olive or canola

I cant understand why anyone would put mustard on their meats before BBQ.

For my tastes, I am a back to basics type of cook, I want to taste the meat and the fire. In fact I dont understand all of these rubs, especially the jarred brand ones that were made in some factory.

Why do people want all the "layers" of flavor, isnt it just a cover up?

Ive tasted Que with mustard and rubs. Some of them made me want to spit. All I can think is; man, i wish all of this crap wasnt on this meat. I scrape at it to get it off. And isnt the bark from rubs just fake, crusted burnt spices? Thats not a real bark.

I use salt only and sometimes pepper, black and or red. Never had a problem getting a nice bark with a deep brown color. Certainly not black.

Mustard? Absolutely never.

Flame suit on.:p

I cant understand why anyone would put mustard on their meats before BBQ.

For my tastes, I am a back to basics type of cook, I want to taste the meat and the fire. In fact I dont understand all of these rubs, especially the jarred brand ones that were made in some factory.

Why do people want all the "layers" of flavor, isnt it just a cover up?

Ive tasted Que with mustard and rubs. Some of them made me want to spit. All I can think is; man, i wish all of this crap wasnt on this meat. I scrape at it to get it off. And isnt the bark from rubs just fake, crusted burnt spices? Thats not a real bark.

I use salt only and sometimes pepper, black and or red. Never had a problem getting a nice bark with a deep brown color. Certainly not black.

Mustard? Absolutely never.

Flame suit on.:p

Cap - I respect your opinion and agree in the less is more philosophy, but playing the devils' advocate game I can see two conflicting arguments

Spices of all varieties have been used for tens of thousands of years... May not be primitive but that seems like the basics have been around a while. It's not like we're talking phospate injections here.

Ground peppercorns are a spice - what differentiates this for you as being acceptable over mustard ?

Some may think cover-up, but if done right, there is something to be said for complimenting and enhancing.

Last edited:
Back