Thread: Lewis BBQ here
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 05:14 PM   #35
johnlewis469
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
I said that just trying to understand what John Lewis was saying from the context of his post. Now I realize they probably don't do that part themselves. It would take some heavy duty equipment to roll a stack that large. I could see them doing the reducer. The stack and reducer are clearly different from what Moberg does. I'm not an expert (at all) enough to say which is best. I've been trying to figure out what is different about the connection of the firebox to the cook chamber. That seems to be the top secret part.

About once a year I see John Lewis pop up on a forum or social media and say some mystic things about these pits and then disappear. I'm always fascinated.
It’s 16 gauge steel, a sheet metal fabricator in central TX tools them for us to a specific diameter and length for both the reducer and the smokestack. It’s thinner gauge than pipe on purpose ( also standard pipe and fittings don’t come in the size I like for the cook chambers). Heat tries to equalize itself, always moving from a hotter area to a cooler area. So, if you think a bout the firebox, it’s 3/8” steel, and then insulated on top of that( the equivalent of much thicker steel, and the heat can’t radiate out), then travels into the 3/8” cook chamber which can’t hold the heat in as well, and last into the thinner 1/8” exhaust which cools down even quicker. So, basically the idea, without thinking about all the airflow aspects which is a whole other process, the gradual decrease in the thickness of the steal move ing from for to exhaust helps pull that heat in the direction you want it to go
johnlewis469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->