Hey SGH-beef clod question

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
In another thread, to remain unnamed, you mentioned that you cook beef clods. Do you cook them to slice or pull? How far do you take them?

I've never cooked one, but, have always been curious. They are a cut we never see out here.

I want to know too; I am ready to pull the trigger on buying one.

The local Smart and Final has them all them time (so does RD).

I have heard that if you like chuckies, you will love clod. But.....
I have heard that you smoke it for an hour per pound, and most clods (from cows) weigh between 18-40 pounds.

In another thread, to remain unnamed, you mentioned that you cook beef clods. Do you cook them to slice or pull? How far do you take them?

I've never cooked one, but, have always been curious. They are a cut we never see out here.

I'm eager to hear also, SGH!

Got a fantastic source for clod here, and haven't gotten around to getting it yet.
I'd love to hear!

Yeah I did mine like a roast with guidance from Pitmaster T (thanks T wherever you are!) It seems most people cook them kinda like a brisket. I loved loved loved the results I got cooking it like a roast, but one day I'll try the other way just to see what it's like.

Yeah I did mine like a roast with guidance from Pitmaster T (thanks T wherever you are!) It seems most people cook them kinda like a brisket. I loved loved loved the results I got cooking it like a roast, but one day I'll try the other way just to see what it's like.

You're not doing the posts right Greg, the current fashion is to form a 12 year old girl cliche and give heaps to the peeps who dun it different!
Get with it dude!:laugh:

All jokes aside, that looked scrumptious and the evidence that there are many perfect ways to do stuff is just insurmountable.:thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
FWIW I've cooked one or two (probably only 25 pounds) on the Santa Maria Ranch Grill Rotisserie with SP&G, stopped when the center was 125* and the outside 1/3 was about 145*, let it rest an hour and sliced. I really liked it but I will say there is a lne of gristle in there someweres that it would be good to have a butcher remove.

Last edited:
Beef Clod

Sorry for my late response, im still stuck working nights on the Kodiak deep water project. But I will gladly share how we cook clod. We cook them both ways at times. Sometimes to pull, sometimes to slice. I prefer to cook the really large ones. 30+ pounds. They just seem to hold up better to me. But I guess that's actually debatable, but I do prefer the really large ones. No matter if im cooking to pull or slice, my cooking method remains the same. Only the internal stop temp will be different. How I like to cook them is as follows. Trim and rub it down just as you would a brisket. I really like Bad Byrons Butt Rub on clod. I start out smoking at 180 degrees for 4-6 hours to really lay down some smoke. I use roughly 10 gallons of water in my vertical to help maintain the 180 degrees. After 4-6 hours I bump the pit temp up to 200-225 degrees or anywhere in between if that is where the pit wants to run. If im cooking it to slice, I will pull the meat when the thickest part registers 150 degrees. Why? When you slice you will have some slices that are medium, medium well and well done. This way there is something for everyone. If im cooking it to pull, its usually 193-195 internal when I pull it off of the pit. However it will rise several more degrees while resting. Its not "fall apart" tender at this temp, but it will pull pretty easy and remain moist. If you cook it to a higher internal temp it will pull a little easier but will be dryer. On the real large ones, I find 193 to be spot on for my likes. Im sure you can run many different cooking temps and get great results. However the initial start at 180 degrees and finishing between 200-225 degrees has always worked very well for me so I stick with it. Also the large volume of water is probably not necessary, but I prefer it to help hold the real low temp. I never foil or pan. I cook naked on the great for the duration. My wood of choice for clod is oak, pecan or a 50/50 mix of the two. All give spectacular results. Again, I apologize for my late response but im not on the forum near as much now that im working nights. If I left anything out or if you have more questions, feel free to ask my friend. I will gladly offer anything that I can. Good luck with your clod cook. I hope that its a home run.

Landarc, Cash and carry has clods. And some of the Cali costcos are now stocking them as well. Picked op a clod, 2 butts and 3 SLCs from the San Jose cash and carry today.

Here is a whole, unseperated 33 pounder that we done. You can see all 3 heads intact if this photo posts. Again, I much prefer the whole ones over partial or seperated ones.

Last edited:
Thanks SGH, I don't know when I will cook one, but, the information is definitely noted. I've never seen a clod at my C&C in Oakland. Maybe I missed it.

Thanks SGH, I don't know when I will cook one, but, the information is definitely noted. I've never seen a clod at my C&C in Oakland. Maybe I missed it.

You are quite welcome sir. Whole unseparated clod is getting harder and harder to find. Most stores will label a part of a clod as a clod, when in fact it's only a part of it. I enclosed the raw pic hoping that it would help folks who have never seen one identify the difference. Luckily we still have a few places that carry whole ones on a consistent basis.

Back