• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Franky,

Nice looking rig, even cooler your Dad helped! I look forward to you posting your maiden voyage cook on this guy!
Thanks,
Greg

Wow, beautiful job. Kudos on being wise beyond your years in taking advantage of time with your dad. The are with us for such a short time.

Any others building since march? I am looking to modify mine and like all the ideas I can get.

I have trolled this site quite a bit over the last few days... I'm gonna do it !
I guess ill start a build thread when I actually get to work on it.

But First... The Drum itself
I've seen plenty of used ones on Craigslist etc that I could burn and clean out. ($25-$50) Just seems like such a PITA. Then I found a drum company near my house that sells new ones. I can get a 55 GALLON straight drum for $88. I cant find any straight drums used. I kinda like them better.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• uds1.jpg
    uds1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 182
  • uds2.jpg
    uds2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Caution UDS barrel Bigger is NOT Always Better

Biggest thing is barrel size...30 gal vs 55 gal...latter is huge, uses lots of fuel, too fast for me.

I think most people will admit smaller drum is as good and is way cheaper initially and in use...

Plus, smaller 390 gal drum can be used to grille.

Also get new drum! Easier/maybe safer!

Basket for coals is not easy to do right and is important. Welded steel mesh "expanded metal" is fine, with attached bottom pan set inch or two below. Allows for lots of coals and wood, which means no refills needed...measure well. Long metal wire (1/8) is handy, as are gloves.

Topper is inverted SS salad mixer owl, and a SS chimney which I ordered on line for domed Q top...would put up another pic, but am on spare laptop.

BTW, Do not scrimp...

Use three solid SS bolts not coated, for each layer and use expanded-metal grates (3), at top center and over coal basket for

Planter base (fired-terracota) flower-pot base, covered in foil to use over basket as water-filled deflector.

Measure!

Attachments

• Squatchin!stSmoke.jpg
    Squatchin!stSmoke.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
S-winey, if you are referring to the above photo; No! It's a 30...count the pavers...2-years, last April."

And I do more smoking in my Weber...old 23" from 1973.

Doubt you could find a SS salad bowl that is 23" in diameter...

Last edited:
I would not want to go any smaller than a 55 for my personal uses, and honestly wish it were bigger when cooking certain meats for more than 6-8 people. Looks like you're off to a start with a clean straight drum. Can't wait to see the finished product

KC; cannot disagree. Just a POV caution...

Me rarely chefs for more than four.
Just stuff. Charcoal costs...have me own apple trees/wood, I trim.

Gents... What I was looking for input on was the "straight" drum (pictured), vs the traditional barrels that are all over CL.

This is a new, unlined 55 gallon straight drum with removable lid . $88.
Seems like it would make a really nice UDS

Stats:

PART# 551A2NSM150
UN RATED 55 GALLON OPEN TOP SMOOTH SIDE STEEL DRUM
- NEW
- UNLINED
- BOLT RING CLOSURE
- SOLID LID
UN1A2/Y1.5150 - UN1A2/X400/S
DIMS: 24" X 24" X 34.5" Tall
WEIGHT: 44LBS.

Attachments

• uds1.jpg
    uds1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
I like the look of the straight sided, open head drums. All of mine have been the normal, ribbed ones- that's all I could scrounge up.

I thought the straight drum was a foregone conclusion. My bad. I think at that price it is a slam dunk

Here is alternate exterior view of 30 gal machine... I might mention chimney square inch size has a bearing on smoking efficiency.

I just built my first Ugly Drum Smoker

Hey all you UDS experts.

I finished my first build. I've been cooking with it a ton and I love it.
I made a video of the build...

https://youtu.be/Ai-CwUaOs9s

I'd love to get some thoughts and feedback from the pros on this forum.

I doubt this will be the last one I build.

Thanks!

Back