• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I was wrong, wild boar meat now what?

COS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I posted a thread a while back about wild boar meat. I thought I was going to get a Boston butt type cut. I was wrong. I ended up getting small baseball size pieces of boar meat. No idea what cut or where the cut is from. I got it in a cooler of ice water and vinegar now for this weekend. I'm thinking of reverse sear, put it in the pit at semi high temp then wear it. It does look pretty lean. I'm more worried of the reverse sear it tasting gamey. Any ideas?

Whenever we get a lean wild hog, we make carnitas. That looks pretty lean.

Carnitas is a good Idea or Chile verde. How about Lasagna with Wild Boar Bolongese

Since it's already in vinegar you could make vina dosh.

Adobo is good too...

I posted a thread a while back about wild boar meat. I thought I was going to get a Boston butt type cut. I was wrong. I ended up getting small baseball size pieces of boar meat. No idea what cut or where the cut is from. I got it in a cooler of ice water and vinegar now for this weekend. I'm thinking of reverse sear, put it in the pit at semi high temp then wear it. It does look pretty lean. I'm more worried of the reverse sear it tasting gamey. Any ideas?

Just make sure you have dark shoes and a brown belt and you will be fine.

I was searching the Internet about wild boar meat. I found along with soaking it in ice water in a cooler is also to add baking soda.
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/top-8-wild-boar-recipes/

Anyways I'm thinking of treating it like a steak with it being so lean. Your suggestions sounded good but to much work. A few of those suggestions never even heard of.

I would just rub it with salt/pepper...reverse sear it like steak.

That's what I'm thinking. What temp should I take it to. I was reading to prevent disease to cook to a internal of 160. Does this sound ok?

I personally wouldn't go to 160­. I'd go 140 and let it carry over to 145.

I'd personally go even lower...about 130F-135F.

IMG_9290.jpg

I personally wouldn't go to 160*. I'd go 140 and let it carry over to 145.

That's also what I was thinking. I'm going to cook a small part on Friday and see how it turns out.

WEBIMAGESVIDEOSNEWSMAPSSHOPPINGBOOKSFLIGHTSAPPSSEARCH TOOLS
Follow these tips to avoid trichinosis: Avoid undercooked meat. Be sure whole cuts of meat other than poultry and wild game are cooked to an internal temperature of 145 F (63 C) throughout, and don't cut or eat the meat for at least three minutes after you've removed it from the heat.Apr 2, 2015
Trichinosis Prevention - Mayo Clinic

Back