• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need some advice for memorial day camping trip

jmoss

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So my family and I will be joining our Jeep club for a camping and canoeing trip on Memorial day weekend. Friday night we will be having a pot luck style Dinner and i'm brining the protien. Planning on throwing an 8lb butt on the smoker Thursday night and cooking it through the night. My wife iwll be leaving first thing Fri morning to get ot the camp ground and get us a good tent spot since its first come first serve, I have to work all day. So my questions here are this...

Should I pull the butt apart friday morning or leave it whole and wrapped up and reheat/pull at the campsite friday night

If i'm going to reheat/pull whats the best way to do so with out messing with the flavor or runnig the risk of overcooking/drying it out?

I would pull it before hand and vacuum seal it if possible – if not zip lock freezer bags. I would also seal it with a little apple juice and BBQ sauce. I would reheat it in the bag in boiling water.

I agree that the best way to do this is to vacuum seal portions that you can reheat with hot water later. I do this every year for our Cub Scout Pack at our annual camping trip. It'll be just like it came off the smoker and was just pulled.

If you don't have a vacuum sealer, I'd put the PP in a pan and SLOWLY reheat it. I'd put some apple juice in with the meat to keep it hydrated during reheating. Stir it often to prevent the bottom getting too hot.

Can you let it cook and foil it, wrap it in a towel, and put it in the cooler over your lunch hour on Friday? It will keep hot for around four to six hours that way.

I am in the vaccume seal then reheat in boiling water club. (I have a family of 4 and 2 kids that don't eat a lot of Q) so cooking a butt is 6 pounds of meat so about 2-3 family meals. I seal warm, Freeze once cooled to temp and reheat in a pot of boiling water for 30-40 mins. Brisket if best fresh but reheating in boiling water is okay. Ribs... Never had any long enough to reheat. Chicken, don't mess with reheating chicken.

Thanks for the great feed back guys!!! I'd love to be able to foil it and towel it but it will be about 8 hours If I had to guess before we are eating it. I do have the Little Candle heated warmers that heat things slowly, thats what we use when we have partys at the house and want to serve the meat and keep it warm so I may use them to reheat with or to keep warm after reheating with the boiling water.

why not bring the smoker and have the wife fire it up in the morning toss on the pork you prepped? should be ready to go when you get there. just thinking outside the box

why not bring the smoker and have the wife fire it up in the morning toss on the pork you prepped? should be ready to go when you get there. just thinking outside the box

My smoker won't fit in either of our Jeeps, I thought we had a member comming with an Egg but he backed out so all we have comming is a coleman propane grill, and an electric grill to my knowledge

I have a buddy who cooks whole 12-14 lb. turkeys on the park-style camp grills. He builds a nice indirect charcoal fire and then uses a Weber kettle lid to trap heat and then adds coals once in awhile. Do you have access to those built in grills or firepits and a kettle lid? You could try this with your foiled butt.

Back