Finally cold enough

Meat Burner

Quintessential Chatty Farker
to smoke some cheese. Five ashed over briquets and a finger sized sliver of apple or pecan (or whatever you like). The pan under the cheese is full of ice. Temp will hover around 70 degrees in the drum with this setup. I usually go a hour to an hour and a half. Will have to add a little more fuel about half way through. When done, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a week but a month is better. There you have it.

Attachments

• Cheese on Smoker 2-27-11.JPG
    Cheese on Smoker 2-27-11.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 193
Yep, just a few briqs in the bottom with a finger sized piece of wood and it will smoke for an hour or more.

MB, do you find you get good flavor penetration leaving the cheese in large blocks? I usually cut the blocks down but if it works that is one less step.

42bbq, it is about 36 degrees outside right now. The colder the better.

Brad, I don't seem to have any problem with leaving them whole. Sometimes I will use the smaller blocks and only go about an hour. The extra half hour seems to get good smoke penetration in the bigger blocks. I will try some cut in half next time to compare.

I wait till the outside temp is cool. Then take a coffee can and poke a bunch of holes in it,add a few lit coals and some small pieces of wood and replace every hour or so. Works great on a kettle,UDS or a WSM you just have to monitor the temp.

Thanks Skidder. I like that method better than just putting the coals in the basket and placing wood on top. I might try that on my 27 inch Weber.

What do you guys use your smoked cheese for?

Smoked Swiss for a hot ham & cheese sammy, Gouda, cheddar, wasabi and habanero cheeses just to munch on with crackers. Extra sharp cheddar and Velveeta make a damn good mac & cheese, smoked cream cheese works on a bagel, smoked butter on popcorn ..... Ahhhh, the list goes on & on :thumb:.

Does one type of cheese absorb smoke faster, more intense, etc., than another? This a great thread, thanks again.

smoked cream cheese works on a bagel, smoked butter on popcorn

Wow, two I haven't thought of yet. Actually, I did want to do butter but never thought about it to that level. Smoked cream cheese is a fantastic idea too. Thanks.

Last edited:
It doesn't get all that cold here, but I'm thinking with a bunch of ice I may be able to do some short cold smoking - thanks for putting that up - looks awesome - I love smoked cheese! :hungry:

Mmm...y'all got me wanting some smoked white cheddar. By far the family favorite from my first time smoking cheese.

Back