View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
bgross88
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : B

If you can swing the price difference, I'd highly suggest getting a 22 WSM. I was in the same boat as you several years ago. I wasn't sure what to do, and decided to get the 22. I've never regretted it. Granted it may use a bit more charcoal than the 18, but I love having the extra space. I've cooked 4 VERY large pork butts in one session on mine, and they turn out fantastic.

I always use water in mine. A lot of people don't. They use some type of heat sink-a clay saucer or sand instead. I have woods on my property so I have zero issues getting rid of nasty/greasy post-cook water from the pan. Many people prefer no water as it's a PITA to dispose of, and it takes a lot longer to reach temp. Personally, I love cooking with water; I think in the WSM, water produces a great final product.

Regarding what types of wood, I use a lot of cherry, apple and pecan. I never considered Pecan until I read a lot on this forum. I usually use a combination of cherry/apple and pecan, depending on what I'm cooking.

Most WSM's have door sealing issues. There are many ways to correct/cure that. Personally, I simply bought a gasket kit and it's worked great. If that every fails/goes bad, I'll get a cajun bandit SS door/latch.

Hope that helps!! Good luck. You are on a great forum, with amazing people, who will help you make good decisions and make you a great BBQ cook!