• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Do You Like This Site?????

BBQCheff33 writes....
Prior to moving to subscriptions, over 1400 members were grandfathered in and have full search functionality. 1000 of them active. Allowing free reign to visitors, lurkers and people that only take away and do not offer anything in the form of knowledge or comaraderie, was taking away cycles and resources from those that helped support the site. It was decided to make the search one of the value added features available to those that support us.

If you had joined 6 months ago, Flying Brass, this whole thing wouldn't be an issue for you as you would have been grandfathered in......

But welcome to the site anyway.........

I was frustrated when I wrote that earlier post. I could have worded my comments better.

In most venues, this forum being the sole exception I've encountered, newcomers are strongly encouraged to search and read before asking questions. And for good reason. Much can be learned that way. Lazy newbies who can't be bothered to search annoy the regulars.

My initial motivation for joining a forum is usually to gain access to the search function and the ability to view attachments. Joining here felt like a bait and switch. Welcome to the forum, but now to get much practical use out of it payment is required upfront. That strikes me as totally backwards. Usually, the value obtained from a site/forum over time inspires one to donate. Requiring a fee in advance for such basic functionality is a pay site approach. Different strokes for different folks, but had I known that was the deal I probably wouldn't have registered.

I think someone mentioned boolean searches, perhaps implying that a simple single word search is possible. Nope. Non-subscribing members apparently have no searching ability here at all with the exception of the FAQ searchbox. I can't even pull up my previous posts or look up threads I've posted in. I find that to be an extremely frustrating environment.

Im sorry your so frustrated about this forum.
I call it the best forum on the planet, always have and always will.
I hope you can find a place like this that comforts you someday like this place I call home comforts me.
Good Luck Sir on your search.

flyingbrass, I'll lay it out like this:

You go to your supermarket and they send out free samples, you try the sample and like to see what you can do with the whole package. You buy the smallest package, just to make sure you are going to like what you're eating. You don't tell the little old lady hocking samples she is a con artist for only selling you the package, and not giving you all of the samples on the table for you try out.
There are trial memberships for a sum less than you would pay for lunch.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thoughts from a new member...

I agree about the old search stuff, I did much searching via Google before I signed up on this site and a lot of the things I was reading no longer hold true as I later found out. Even met some members who had shall we say moved on...but by reading old post you would never had known...

Anyway...if you like the milk buy the cow. This ain't the only BBQ site on the web, I've been on many of them but this one seems to be the most knowledgeable, the most fun and it seems to be frequented by the kind of fun loving knuckle headed dudes I enjoy being around. More importantly I subscribed because I like not having all the ads everywhere slowing down the site load times, that in itself is worth the money!!!

ads? We always have google ads, but thats all.. Is that what u were talking about? There should not be nybanners or popups. If there are, they're coming from somewhere else. (your machine may have a popup program loaded).

No, what I was trying to say was that this site does NOT have ads and that is what I like. It made MY subscription more than worth it, among many other things!...Banner ads from other locations that slow the site down while they load are a necessary evil for some sites (take a look at mtbr.com for an example) I do spend time on mtbr but is nice to be able to help out somewhat so that the banner ads are not needed! :icon_cool

Thoughts from a new member...

I agree about the old search stuff, I did much searching via Google before I signed up on this site and a lot of the things I was reading no longer hold true as I later found out. Even met some members who had shall we say moved on...but by reading old post you would never had known...

Anyway...if you like the milk buy the cow. This ain't the only BBQ site on the web, I've been on many of them but this one seems to be the most knowledgeable, the most fun and it seems to be frequented by the kind of fun loving knuckle headed dudes I enjoy being around. More importantly I subscribed because I like not having all the ads everywhere slowing down the site load times, that in itself is worth the money!!!

Thanks for your kind words and your insight. You get it.:cool:

ads? We always have google ads, but thats all.. Is that what u were talking about? There should not be nybanners or popups. If there are, they're coming from somewhere else. (your machine may have a popup program loaded).

I think what he is saying is that he is glad that we do not have the ads that pop up and slow things down so that is why he donated.

First of the month again and my "Ole Farts" money hit the bank.
Sent a bit on to support my family here!

I have to do that before I spend it on "silly stuff" like food and gas :oops:

TIM

Well... lets see here... I just finished a killer pastrami Rueben which I would not have ever known how to make if it wasn't for you folks... In the past year and a little I have met a bunch of great people who I would do anything for... I have had the opportunity to cook at comps with some seasoned veterans (and have learned more than I can say)... I have talked on the phone with people from coast (including the coast of Hawaii) about my passion (Q)... I have prayed for and about people I have never actually met but care a great deal about... I have met and welcomed into my home a man that puts an unreal amount of time, effort, and funds into this place (but can't fish for chit)... I have learned more about techniques, recipes, and methods of smoking great food than I had in the previous whole bunch of years... I am part of a competition team that I love being with and competing with.... I have made friends with several people who I ask to send me something and they send it knowing that the check is actually in the mail without ever asking... Dang, I think I will go and make another donation.

I appreciate you all and hope that anyone who stumbles upon us has half the fun that I have here...

Well, I suppose I've contributed here indirectly. How many have been inspired to send in a donation as a result of my comments?

Well, I suppose I've contributed here indirectly. How many have been inspired to send in a donation as a result of my comments?

Actually probably not all that many. Most who donate have done so and will continue to do because they have been inspired by those on the list who are positive and provide value.

Back