• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

cross contamination qustion

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My UDS will have two cooking grates. What foods need to be where so i dont cross contaminate the meat. SoEzzy told me once how to do it but i kind of forgot. All i remeber was chicken on bottom.

You dont want any chicken/Poultry or fish drippings on other meats, so those always should be on the bottomn grate.

DM

Pork over beef is awesome...

Beef over pork is good...

Chicken always on the bottom...

Personally, I don't cook chicken on the same cooker as anything else. Helps to avoid any CC issues. Cooking pork and beef on the same cooker should be no issue.

I understand cross contamination issues, especially when it comes to food prep and handling. But if for example, you're using a UDS with 2 grates and you cook a butt or a brisket, do you pull it off, foil and cooler it, and then put chicken on to cook? Position everything so the chicken doesn't drip on the meat on the lower grate? Cover the food on the lower grate with a bit of well positioned foil?

Chris

Devils advocate here.

What about rotissorie pits? Won't chicken eventually be above something? If chicken drips on something, and it cooks longer than the chicken, won't all the bad things be cooked out?

I've seen lots of chicken cooked over veggies. The veggies are OK since they come off the cooker the same time the chicken does. Hence the drippings have cooked.

(devil's adocate done)

I still don't cook anything under chicken.

Back