My Competition Storage cart

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm putting together a cart to hold some of my stuff for my first comp, its really a Paul Kirk cooking class with a Judging class but if I have the confidence after this I will do the real thing in a few weeks.

So I had an old Weber gas grill that was a POS but the cart was in good shape and I decided to put this together, It's still in the planning stage right now, I'm picking up a piece of stainless or aluminum sheet for the top in place of the plywood and was thinking of using some plastic cutting board on the fold up table. I've got a fire extinguisher to mount near the bottom and maybe a paper towel holder or trash container.

Would anyone care to give me any input or ideas that I might incorporate into this? Nothing is chiseled in stone yet and at the last comp I attended I was checking out peoples setups and saw a lot of Coleman camp kitchens, Tool rollaways etc. I can put my tables on the top and use it as a dolly too!
What do you seasoned pros think?

Brian

100_1559.jpg

100_1558.jpg

I like it, coulda used something like that last weekend cooking with Dr. BBQ.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Definitely add the trash container and ease of paper towel access is very convenient.
Looks great and functional to boot.
Good luck and have fun in the upcoming class.

Makes me wish I didn't trash the old weber frams I had.

I agree with my wife. You really took a piece of junk and made it into something very, very useful. I wish I had one. Great job!

Mount a paper towel holder under the right hand side.

Cut a few slots in the plywood to drop your knives into when you aren't using them.

Screw or zip tie a trash can to the left hand side.

Looks good. Cook idea!

Swamp, this is great. I am going to go look and see if I can do the same thing with my old gasser.

Some comments:

We compete with 2 large and one smaller table. Will probably upgrade to three large ones soon. We are not very organized, so we need a lot of space to lose things. Getting organized like you would mess us all up.

How many "real" tables will you have? The table that you are going to do hard prep and cutting on needs to be STABLE. IMO, this cart would not be best for that. Therefore, the 'cutting board top' is a 'nice to have' feature, but not a requirement. I don't think you would do much "cutting" on it.

You already have the paper towel idea, I'd do that. Is this big enough to hold 3 wash tubs? We have a lot of cleaning supplies, we could probably fill a whole cart with them and designate the cart as the clean up station.

I'm putting together a cart to hold some of my stuff for my first comp, its really a Paul Kirk cooking class with a Judging class but if I have the confidence after this I will do the real thing in a few weeks.

So I had an old Weber gas grill that was a POS but the cart was in good shape and I decided to put this together, It's still in the planning stage right now, I'm picking up a piece of stainless or aluminum sheet for the top in place of the plywood and was thinking of using some plastic cutting board on the fold up table. I've got a fire extinguisher to mount near the bottom and maybe a paper towel holder or trash container.

Would anyone care to give me any input or ideas that I might incorporate into this? Nothing is chiseled in stone yet and at the last comp I attended I was checking out peoples setups and saw a lot of Coleman camp kitchens, Tool rollaways etc. I can put my tables on the top and use it as a dolly too!
What do you seasoned pros think?

Brian

Brian, I like that cart you built. I use tables and don't need to add another piece of furniture, but I really like the idea, plus what plowboy said to add.

I can tell you one thing, if you plan on competing you will need about 10 rolls of paper towels. I use the hell out of them.

Thanks for all the input and props! I've been busy working on it trying to make sure I'm ready for next weekend. I'll post pics of the finished cart in Q-Talk this weekend. I'm really satisfied with it and only time will tell if it works out, I think you all will be surprised at the outcome!

As far as tables go I have a 6' folding table that I'm raising the height with PVC pipe on the legs, the cart, and a couple heavy duty "card tables". It should be enough? I've gotten a couple different checklists and theres a lot of overkill, but when I go camping I always bring more than I ever use and still end up going to the store! I'm not organized in the least, it just looks that way!!

Brian

Back