Team Dinner

patrickd26

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey, Everyone!

Quick question... I've been volunteered to cook for our high school boys basketball team dinner. It's about 60 people total (9-12th grade, plus coaches). I would like to do ribs and pulled pork. I'm hoping to give each kid a sandwich and a couple of ribs, and if there's enough for seconds, I'm very good with that.

Do two pork butts and 14 racks of ribs sound about right? We'll also be serving sides of mac-n-cheese and fruit. I'm trying to figure out if I'm in the ballpark of having enough meat.

Thanks for your input.

Boys in that age group EAT! And eat a lot. What ever you plan, double it. There is a bit of “tongue in cheek “ in my response, but a lot of truth.

So, I learned tonight that coming backs for seconds is actually factored into that 60 person number. So, I'm actually cooking for 30. Thanks again.

Much of this depends on portion control, and it's sometimes helpful to think about these servings in terms of ounces (that translates to how much raw meat you'll need).

If you're serving 4oz servings of pulled pork for 60 servings, that's 240oz of meat.. divided by 16oz/lb is 15lb of cooked meat. One usually can count on about 50% yield of cooked meat for pork shoulder/picnic cooks. That means you'll need about 30lb of uncooked pork.

Sometimes I get closer to 60%, but I'd rather have some buffer "for mom and the kids."

I've not served ribs on a large scale, but I guarantee there's someone around who has.

For 30 people

20lbs of raw pork
6 slabs of ribs (tell them 2 bone max first passthrough buffet)
1 full hotel pan of mac n cheese (double if no other sides)
4-5lbs of cut up fruit (double if so other sides will be served)

When I first started catering I would have thought a young group of guys like this would eat way more food than other groups. 13 years of catering has actually taught me this isn't true. I've fed everything from high school football teams to college basketball teams where everyone eating was 6'8" and 20 ish years old and they do not eat any more overall than any other group. I'm sure there may be exceptions, but this has been my experience. If you are worried, throw an extra butt and a rack or two of ribs on the cooker.

Back