Need Serving / Display Ideas

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We are cooking pulled pork for 1000 this weekend. Part of the deal is that I am displaying a whole hog to give the illusion of a hog roast (80# Hog slaid out in the condiment and sides table). He has to be cooked on Friday, then refrigerated. Ideas on how to display him Saturday? He will be on a board covered in foil when I get him done Friday.

Thanks, I'm drawing blank.

What if you used the smoked head, but used the pulled pork as a mocked up body. Could pull the pork form the display to serve, leaving the head only at the end. Scott

Maybe make a big "show" out of cutting the body up and chopping, etc, then throw it in the pit in a couple pans to heat back up? You sir, may be on to something.

You lost me at "We are cooking pulled pork for 1000 this weekend. " :eek:

I think you need about a 600 pound hog for that one. Good luck finding a smoker big enough for that beast.

Pack his thorax or body in ice, until serving time.

Dammit, this is insane. If your gonna display only his head, have a nice big apple in his mouth.

If your going to eat the meat, I would display for a very short time, then I would refrigerate whole hog. Otherwise............behead hog, and put a 50# bag of taters rearranged under wraps to look like a hog body.

Undertaker mod.

Going to my room now.

Keep the hog just for looks - Butterfly the body and splay back-up on your foil covered board, put apple in mouth, sourrond body with vegatbles, add baseball cap of home team. Use olive oil on skin when cooking to get nice bronze skin. put can in mouth when cooking. Watch snout and ears so they don't burn, use foil on them when they get to the color your want.

PS - If you really want the skin to look great and you are sure nobody is going to eat, you can always use shilac or food grade vanish

I would love to see what you end up doing. I just found out I am catering a Renaissance Feast in January and they want a hog for the centerpiece/main dish - I will be "carving" it for the guests in front of them.

JeffandJulieThayerpics005.jpg

JeffandJulieThayerpics021.jpg

JeffandJulieThayerpics026.jpg

I first displayed the pig, carved it for show then added pulled pork and sauce dishes to compliment the carved piggie with the head still attached to the skeleton.

OK, maybe I'm missing something.

Who really wants to sit there and looked at fully intact animal carcas while eating a sandwich? I mean I love meat...but come on. That seems taking it a bit far.

"Hey you don't mind if I lie here and watch while you eat my body do you?"

Who really wants to sit there and looked at fully intact animal carcas while eating a sandwich? I mean I love meat...but come on. That seems taking it a bit far.

Neil - You have a valid point, but it's lost on most who attend an event that features a whole pig. If you think it's a little off to be around a pig being carved, avoid a picking at all costs. I'm not sure you could handle pretty girls in bikinis, with a beer in one hand fighting over who got the crispy skin or tearing chunks of meat off with their fingers. All very primal and makes for great after (and sometimes during) party, well use your imagination.

jeff use the table :wink::wink::wink::wink:
and wrap the pig in the table and some apple juice and some saw horses
and start a fire under it

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

now that is some red neck cooking :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

york

- If you see a tear run out of my eye, you can just tell yourself it's butter - Jim Gaffigan on Comedy Central talking about eating fish with the head on

He is done, and I have made a decision, based soley on space and cooker capacity. We are going to split him into thirds (front, middle, back), arrange him in a semi-circle with platters of fresh pulled pork being placed in the circle.

York,
He spent a bit of time on the "table" this morning.

For everyone else, York is referring to an autopsy table that he and I have one of each. They work great - stainless steel with a drain plug!

The day is done. This was at a Harley Dealer Open house. Old schoold bikers went "cool pig man". RUB's (Rich Urban Bikers) showed varying levels of shock and disgust. They all ate the pulled pork though. Pictures later, I'm tired. We did a class reunion on the way home from the open house. That's 1100 fed today. Woo hoo!

Last edited:
Back