Smithfield extra meaty rib problems

Moosefire66

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I've never had these before but my dad took them out of the freezer for dinner yesterday so I cooked them up 3-2-1 style. During the 3 hour cook part I sprayed apple cider once an hour, foiled for the 2, and when I checked them after the 2 hour foiling there was no pull back at all, and the ribs were still pretty stiff. So I foiled them again and left them on for another hour with no changes. So I just put them back on the grill for maybe 2 mire hours, no pull back, no anything. Ribs were not fall off the bone at all.

Did I forget something? Temps stayed between 240 and 260 the whole time based on my fireboard. Just a gas grill cooked indirect....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've never had these before but my dad took them out of the freezer for dinner yesterday so I cooked them up 3-2-1 style. During the 3 hour cook part I sprayed apple cider once an hour, foiled for the 2, and when I checked them after the 2 hour foiling there was no pull back at all, and the ribs were still pretty stiff. So I foiled them again and left them on for another hour with no changes. So I just put them back on the grill for maybe 2 mire hours, no pull back, no anything. Ribs were not fall off the bone at all.

Did I forget something? Temps stayed between 240 and 260 the whole time based on my fireboard. Just a gas grill cooked indirect....

I've never had good luck with Smithfield meats, but they still should have cooked in 8 hours at 250 deg. I'd suspect something was screwy with the temperature measurement. Was the sensor next to the meat, since that is the temp reading that's important. On some ribs there is never any pull back, and the bend test is imprecise. I go by the toothpick test. Stick a probe into a jar of peanut butter, that's what done ribs feel like.
Also, that's a lot of time with the lid open on the cooker. The loss of heat adds to cooking time, most gassers don't have much thermal mass.

Cook them all time. Never have had an issue. I did some baby backs yesterday on the PBC and they were perfectly done in 3 hours.

Your temperature gauge is waaaay off. Check it by temping boiling water.

Some of those ribs are like racks of pork chops.
I guess because ribs go for more a pound than loin they leave lots of meat on them.
I like them, but they usually take around 6 hrs at 225/250 (I don't wrap).
that what my Sam's carries, I never could understand how everyone kept saying BB's are done in less time than spares, until I saw pics of their BB"s.

Buy small ribs.

Under 2.5# back Under 4.5# Full Spares. Imho-worth the hunt. Closer the bone the better the meat.

Thanks everybody for the help

When it comes to Loin Back ribs, I look for the ones that do not appear to be carrying a large hunk of the loin on their back :)

I just posted in another thread that I look for the thickest, meatiest ribs I can find. Well that only applies to Spare Ribs. Loin Backs are a different story. Having a large hunk of lean loin meat on top of what is already fairly lean loin back meat makes for a typically dry result. This is why I always go for spares. Only time I buy Loin Backs is when they are on deep discount and look good.

When it comes to Loin Back ribs, I look for the ones that do not appear to be carrying a large hunk of the loin on their back :)

I just posted in another thread that I look for the thickest, meatiest ribs I can find. Well that only applies to Spare Ribs. Loin Backs are a different story. Having a large hunk of lean loin meat on top of what is already fairly lean loin back meat makes for a typically dry result. This is why I always go for spares. Only time I buy Loin Backs is when they are on deep discount and look good.

I bought some at Costco recently, on sale. I am thinking of brining them with Oakridge Game Changer, to keep moist. Have you ever tried brining first?

Was talking to a friend a couple of days ago about the same thing, the extra strip of loin meat on some BB ribs. He told me he's been injecting them in that thicker area and in between the bones as well. I need to give that a try.

We buy the Smithfield all the time when they are $1.29-$1.49lb. for the money I think they are great. My cooks are lower temps 250ish and 5-6 hours normally. 3 unwrapped, 1-2 wrapped (not foil - paper) depending on what they looked like at the 3 hour mark and then depends what they look like after I unwrapped. Been as short as done in 15 min to another hour...

All I cook is Smithfield Fresh pork STL cut and they always come out great. Sometimes I get pull back and sometimes not. I learned a little trick form a long time comp cook and that is to go along the bone with a butter knife and break the meat lose from the bone. Will always get pull back.

Back