Texas Fire Pit Chili and Stew.....(Prono)

Nice setup Bob!! Looks like a relaxing day. The soups look fantastic!

I dunno how I missed this until now but Bob, that is farkin' awesome.
Great looking bowl of red and I am envious of that pit as well.
Thanks for sharing.
Great work!

The chili and stew look great!
And that pit is just awesome! I need something like that in My yard!!

*sitting on the front porch waiting for Fedex...*

There is nothing that looks bad in those pictures. In fact, it all looks great! Dang, I miss El Paso...more so when I see pix like those.

The chili - you said you won't share the recipe, but will you tell me how finely you chopped the meat - it didn't look to fine - or ground.

Thanks again everybody. Neil, look for UPS, not FedEx.:-D Hope all is better with your van and trailer Brother.

The meat was not chopped very fine, it was the brisket point I had chopped up last week, so the sizes were in the half to one inch range. Actually no real big secret to my chili. I just start out with a rendered fat, bacon and then sautee some onions in it. From there th meat would go in, whatever I happened to have, this time it was brisket. Then brown the meat and I don't have exact measurements but it was chili powder, dried onion and garlic, dry chipotle flakes that I still had left. From there it gets a good boil with lid off to evap some of the liquid and concentrate the flavors. Then I used some masa powder to thicken it up. The liquid I used was the chile water from the quajillos I boiled up. I tossed in some quajillo puree as the last dump for color. I also had used some paprika for color as well. That's about it.

Thanks again everybody. Neil, look for UPS, not FedEx.:-D Hope all is better with your van and trailer Brother.

The meat was not chopped very fine, it was the brisket point I had chopped up last week, so the sizes were in the half to one inch range. Actually no real big secret to my chili. I just start out with a rendered fat, bacon and then sautee some onions in it. From there th meat would go in, whatever I happened to have, this time it was brisket. Then brown the meat and I don't have exact measurements but it was chili powder, dried onion and garlic, dry chipotle flakes that I still had left. From there it gets a good boil with lid off to evap some of the liquid and concentrate the flavors. Then I used some masa powder to thicken it up. The liquid I used was the chile water from the quajillos I boiled up. I tossed in some quajillo puree as the last dump for color. I also had used some paprika for color as well. That's about it.

Thanks, Bob - I plan to make some this weekend - I think I have plenty of quajillos, too. :mrgreen:

As a moderator, you should be temporarily banned for having such a great in ground fire pit. I am so jealous! :p

As for the stew, I can't remember. It most likely had some greens and most likely green chile in it. I know there is a pic of it some where, just gotta find it.

Bob

Strewth Bob!

Talk about yankin your own chain! :razz:

But seriously, It was great to see all those other names there... even yours doing a thread before you drop off the twig. You look positively juvenile in those pics! You should get a smack on the legs for reviving a post THAT old! :heh:

But Texas Chil! Forgiven!

Cheers!

Back