The 1957 Drum Smoker Plans Thread

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I found these on ebay and had to buy them. It was only $3 and I thought it would be interesting.

What do you think? I can see a couple of mods already. Might be kind of interesting to try and build this.

1957SmokerPlans1.jpg

1957SmokerPlans2.jpg

Page 1

Page 2

(Full size PDF is available by request)

Last edited:
Man that is cool. In the past I thought about welding a cut off 50 caliber military ammo box into the bottom for an axcess door. those lids seal real well and lock down .

Man that is cool. In the past I thought about welding a cut off 50 caliber military ammo box into the bottom for an axcess door. those lids seal real well and lock down .

Hmmmm.....I read this thread, went in to check some chili and was thinking "how long before Norco is on this?" I hit refresh after about 4 minutes. :mrgreen:

As I was reading Larry's post. I thought "this has Norco written all over it!" Pretty cool design, Nice find!

Patiently awaiting the 50 Cal. Firebox mod!!

Anybody else catch the part about using asbestos lined firebox? What would we replace that with these days, hopefully something non carcinogenic?

Hmmmm.....I read this thread, went in to check some chili and was thinking "how long before Norco is on this?" I hit refresh after about 4 minutes. :mrgreen:

Wayne, Brian, THats too funny! I was thinking the exact same thing...so Pat, when are you planning to make it?

TRP, thanks for the post, looks very interesting!

Way Cool :cool::cool::cool: Thanks for sharing! :biggrin: Hey Brian...:lol::lol::lol:

Great find Larry... I would love to have that PDF to share with a buddy of mine down in Salt Lake City. I think you have my email. And while we're talking you mentioned last week that you were having a get together for whatever bowl game BYU played in... well I mentioned it to my son and he says he would love to come by and meet you guys. He says he's just around the corner from Rocklin... If it's cool I'm going to give him your email to contact you...

Chris

Dang! I was looking for a cooker made out of a chevy

asbestos

Anybody else catch the part about using asbestos lined firebox? What would we replace that with these days, hopefully something non carcinogenic?
line with firebrick.....use 1/2 thick and glass morter to the inside of the firebox kinda like a boiler............

I am thinking pizza oven, line the fire box and a couple round stones, hmmmm......
ML

BUGGER! Just when I think I've finalised the design of my UDS, you guys go and screw it up!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin: I hate you lot:tongue:

I was just about to start making my patent gas cylinder ash collector, having already made the charcoal ring, when I saw this, now I'm torn.
I'm assuming I'd need a drip pan or grease drain lest I should get fires?
Would I get that UDS flavour? I presume not as it's fully indirect?
I also assume this guy had no charcoal basket, hence the asbestos linining to the firebox, so an S-shaped one a-la whoever-the-hell-already-fits-them-to-their-commercially-made-model, would give a nice, steady, UDS-like burn, yes?
I'd be tempted to make the firebox slightly wider/taller to aloow for fitment of a decent-sized i.e. one load of briqs for a full cook, basket.
Opinions & ideas gents, I'm stood at a crossroads here:icon_smil

Opinions & ideas gents, I'm stood at a crossroads here:icon_smil
I think you should go forward with your original plan for the UDS Smoker.
The Drum Oven Design is nice, it is offset cooking. Which is not a Bad Thing. UDS Cooking, directly over hot coals and the one of a kind flavor from juices vaporizing and basting the meat is oh, so good... :tongue:

Back