Of All The Smokers I’ve Lusted After

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This is up there. I wish I had the space or a way to get it here.

fb20f6895ed6fc50efe471be338f4e1b.jpg

Are those for cold smoking? Explain to me what I'm looking at. Looks like a setup for a prank on a porta potty:p

Are those for cold smoking? Explain to me what I'm looking at. Looks like a setup for a prank on a porta potty:p

Every time I see one of those I think of a heated outhouse.

Our place in the mountains when I was a kid had a two holer but no heat other than a Coleman lantern.

My old neighbor just built one on his new property to smoke deer in. Gotta say i've been jealous since he made it

It is mainly for cold smoking. Would be awesome for doing my big holiday cheese smoke (I've done 180 pounds in a weekend), or to cold smoke hams or bacon. I've been looking at building one of these for a few years. Just have too many other things on the list. Some day though...

That is an outstanding cold smoker!!

I have always wanted one, but maybe one day

Is a smokehouse usable all year long, or just a winter thing?

Here in central Georgia average summer high temps mid-90's, avg summer lows mid 70's, humidity 30-85%.

We used to have a similar setup back when we made and smoked our own deer sausage. We'd usually make 300-600 links depending on how many deer we shot that year.

Here in central Georgia average summer high temps mid-90's, avg summer lows mid 70's, humidity 30-85%.

I guess it would just depend on what you were smoking. If it's something like hams or bacon, it would be cured and it would be fine. Just raw meat without cure may be an issue. Like I said in my first post, I've wanted one to do cheese and cured meats, so temps wouldn't be a huge problem for me.

How do those of you who have a smokehouse deal with spiders and other assorted fauna from camping out. I have the time, skills, tools and inclination to build one but keep talking myself out of it for two reasons: winter only use and bugs. The winter only question has pretty much been answered, now please help me out with the other question that is bugging** me.

** I couldn't help myself.

Fire it up before you put anything inside. The smoke should rid any rodents or bugs right out of there... I planned on keeping any rods and racks stored inside, not in the smokehouse, so that eliminates any contamination prior to using them.

Every time I see one of those I think of a heated outhouse.

Our place in the mountains when I was a kid had a two holer but no heat other than a Coleman lantern.

I can think of a lot worse things than a heated outhouse.

Back