Some recent cooks, starting with belated New Year's

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Hope everyone had great holidays! Doing well here, busy with this and that and finally got around to uploading some pics of some things I've cooked, starting with a belated January 2nd New Year's Day meal...we pulled an audible and had Chinese takeout and then pizza delivered New Year's Day :cool::loco:

Spotted these when cooler cruising at Sam's...I like a t-bone when there's a sizeable filet involved.

Not bad for choice :thumb:

Finally got a bag of B&B char logs to try out - didn't burn as hot as regular lump and made a bunch of ash. Oh well, trying new things is fun :clap2: I'll use em in the Weber kettles.

Porterhouse, roasted garlic mashed taters, grilled asparagus, crescent rolls, and Macallan 12.

Been trying to make my way through this Serrano ham...they've become a great holiday tradition

I started another tradition a few years ago - instead of holiday "cookie trays", we hand out meat trays consisting of bacon, cured or fresh sausage, etc. This year I did belly bacon two ways - pancetta and red chili/brown sugar. Also made some buckboard/Canadian style bacon from a couple loins I picked up at Costco nearly free (used thirdeye's recipe), and then a variety of fresh stuffed and ground sausage.

I thought these bellies looked nice for commodity (Swift from Costco)

Buckboard bacon on the Mak 2* with apple pellets

Brats of some sort

Cured and smoke andouille

We had a special occasion to celebrate for some family, so I thawed out the last of my Premier Proteins dry aged wagyu strip steaks and some shrimp for surf 'n turf. Salt and pepper on the steaks and Big Papa Smokers Seasoned Jalapeno Salt on the shrimp. Roasted garlic mashed taters again, been on a bender with these in the Instant Pot.

I'm a little sad these steaks are gone, I bought a case of them for something like $11/lb back in April and they were excellent.

This was the Christmas Eve meal with my wife's family....bit of a cultural variety. The meat covered in a dark sauce is "pierna" (leg/Boston butt), with a pasilla/ancho chile marinade, roasted in the oven. The spaghetti is also kind of a Mexican dish, the round ball is a German potato dumpling, and there's a tamale buried under that loaf of bread.

It's tradition to make a bunch of tamales before Christmas, it's a lot of work so I don't participate :p but I did supply some chopped brisket in Jack Stack barbecue sauce for an American spin on it. :thumb:

Last edited:
Last but not least, and in no particular order, the Christmas Day meal....double smoked a Costco Kirkland ham on the Mak 2* and it came out really well.

Caught an apparently rare moon halo that night....we missed out on the "Bethlehem star" but I think I probably enjoyed seeing this more.

You had me at the cured meats and sausages and then there was more :-D:eusa_clap Some very serious cooking and eats. I wish I had a little of all that in front of me right now. My wife is a huge fan of the mushroom swiss on the blackstone but, have to add gilled sweet onions too. Thanks for posting some very impressive cooks

Suds, dude, you've got to slow down. I can't take all of that goodness at one time. I'll have to get back to you on which was my favorite cook - my head's swimming a little right now. Where's my beer? I need to sit down...

I'm liking it still, I've used it quite a bit. I changed the oil in it after doing all the tamales and had a fair amount of metal shavings in it. I sent some pictures to their support and got a prompt reply - they're going to send me a replacement unit just in case. Whatever the reason for the shavings, either initial manufacturing or something that happened during use, it doesn't appear to affect its functionality at this time. They have a limited lifetime warranty and have been easy to work with.

Back