• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

"Pork" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Aug. 12th!

my entry Lion back ribs from last weekends debacle
m3cDtRNh.jpg

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274441

Here's my entry photo -- Grilled Pork Chops with Peach Chutney and Balsamic Glaze.

picture.php

I started with fresh pork chops brined overnight in a mixture of kosher salt, brown sugar, and molasses. Before grilling them, I rubbed them with olive oil and herbs. In the last few minutes on the grill, I glazed them with a balsamic vinegar and honey reduction. I served them with a peach chutney made with home-grown peaches, onions, jalapeno peppers, molasses, brown sugar, and spices. They were finished with a drizzle of the balsamic glaze and blue cheese crumbles. The peach chutney added a savory taste with a hint of sweetness, while the balsamic glaze and blue cheese crumbles provided a sophisticated blend of earthy, complex flavors. I'm not sure what my favorite part was but I enjoyed the tastes of fall (the traditional pork and apples) with a summery twist.

I sure wish pork like this was more easily available in the states. No grocery store carries this kind of quality, you really have to go looking for it or buy half a hog. That is beautiful.

Thanks! I got this from a local pig farm, it was my 1st buy from them and this was a home run.

This is an entry!

I am late getting this posted. This was cooked last Saturday (8/3) at the Chicago area Picnic/Bash. It has been my tradition for a few years to cook a TD entry at the bash.

Blueberry Pancake Fatty with Maple-Bourbon Glaze

I started with about 2.5 lbs of ground pork from trimmings off of our competition butts and some home made blueberry pancakes.

I used a gallon bag to flatten the about 1.25 pounds of the pork and then cut the sides of the bag to get access to the flattened pork. Then I took the blueberry pancakes and cut them to fit the pork and brushed them with some maple syrup.

Fatty.jpg

Then I rolled it up, using the plastic bag to help. I wrapped it in plastic wrap to hold the shape and put it in the refrigerator.

At the bash the next day I put the fatty, along with a Hatch Chile and Cheese Fatty into Sweetsmoke87's offset and let them get a nice smoke bath.

69-EFEAB2-BAAB-4-CA0-A650-AB819462-FF4-D.jpg

8550-FFFB-52-C2-4-FD5-9-B1-F-A9-F3-FB05-AD1-C.jpg

Once they hit about 180 internal I took them out and sliced them.

027811-E6-C9-A9-49-CC-9327-E2-C4-E2-D7169-B.jpg

For the Blueberry Pancake Fatty I made a Maple-Bourbon Glaze and for the Hatch Chile and Cheese Fatty I made a roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Sauce.

6-DB01-D6-B-D97-A-4-F56-86-A4-3-F65-A73-E6421.jpg

Both fatties were very good, and Frognot made me an honorary Texan for the Hatch Chile and Cheese Fatty with the sauce :-D.

28E61387-5EFC-4634-B0D9-34F1363AA61A.jpg

Please use this as the entry picture (Credit to LYU370 for the picture while my hands were messy :becky:)

Unfortunately, you missed the entry deadline:

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 8/12.

Back