The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugly Drum Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436)

pigwacker 12-12-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 597466)
Question-
Who was it that built the UDS upside sown? After cleaning mine this weekend having a removable bottom is a MUST for me! That or find a way to absorb the drippings that miss the coals.

I went on ebay and spotted a 18'' pizza pan but in keeping with the idea of lowest cost I passed on it. Any other ideas?

Used disc blades, co-worker gave me two 18" disc blades for bases in my soon to be UDS. They come in a multitude of sizes, just check with any farmer friends.

Yleekyoti 12-13-2010 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 597466)
Question-
Who was it that built the UDS upside sown? After cleaning mine this weekend having a removable bottom is a MUST for me! That or find a way to absorb the drippings that miss the coals.

I went on ebay and spotted a 18'' pizza pan but in keeping with the idea of lowest cost I passed on it. Any other ideas?

Pure clay cat litter sprinkled in the bottom of my uds soaks up all the grease and makes it easy to scoop clean:cool:

coffee_junkie 12-13-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yleekyoti (Post 1482199)
Pure clay cat litter sprinkled in the bottom of my uds soaks up all the grease and makes it easy to scoop clean:cool:

I built mine upside down, but have never taken the bottom off because all the moisture leaks out, I was thinking I might do it this spring do give the bottom a good cleaning but I probably wont. I think you could just drill a couple 1/4" drain holes and you would be good. I don't think it would affect the way the drum runs.

blackdog043 12-13-2010 10:56 AM

"I would like to leave with one big question. I read that some people manage to maintain their smoker temps like within 10 degrees for hours! I would like to know how that happens. :) Now, with my UDS temp control is in fact very good.. however there is one catch... it's not exactly where I want it. It's where it wants it. :) I am very happy with the temp control I have, but I don't think I can do better. Maybe it's the fuel? I just use normal grade charcoal (Kingsford, or Stubs brand)."

I would say, your air flow is not working the way it should. If you use the KISS method your drum temp would be easier to dial in to what you want it!! Easy way to try it, close your side exhaust vents and open the 2" bung hole for exhaust. Leave it wide open and control your temp with the intake. If you want more smoke flavor add more wood chunks. I don't know what the other sites say to do, this is the best on the net for help with anything Q, hands down, in my opinion. Give the KISS method a try and see if it works for you. People on here have more problems trying to improve what works. Not saying you can't come up with some other design that will work for you.

coewar 12-14-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdog043 (Post 1482422)
I would say, your air flow is not working the way it should. If you use the KISS method your drum temp would be easier to dial in to what you want it!! Easy way to try it, close your side exhaust vents and open the 2" bung hole for exhaust. Leave it wide open and control your temp with the intake. If you want more smoke flavor add more wood chunks. I don't know what the other sites say to do, this is the best on the net for help with anything Q, hands down, in my opinion. Give the KISS method a try and see if it works for you. People on here have more problems trying to improve what works. Not saying you can't come up with some other design that will work for you.

The thing is actually that I was thinking I was making it SIMPLER than the other designs by drilling 3 of the same type of holes in the side of the barrel. I thought it was harder to remove the bung hole cap (which seems to require a tool I don't have) and then putting a flap on that.

But I will try at least leaving all the top vents open and see if I notice it better. Then maybe I can find something to open this bung hole cap.

jcinadr 12-14-2010 01:34 PM

bung hole and 3 nipples worked pretty good for me. The only issue I had is the lump had to be dry. If it absorbed too much humidity, it was very difficult to get the temp above 220.

bung hole and BBQ Guru is easier (can set it pretty much anywhere from 175 to 400) - but is kind of overkill (but sometimes overkill is a good thing). Not sure if there is a hot spot over the bunghole or not - but can always rotate the lid.

AcreFarm 12-14-2010 05:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well enough lurking. I've sat thru this entire dog & pony show, and for any other new folks.... any question you could conceive is here, answered, in detail...Likely several times over again.
So, here's my take...
I got my hands on a free drum from work, and after some reading here I got going. KISS... 4 ½" inlets; 2 with valves. Drilled holes in the lid for exhaust, used carriage bolts to hold a single (for now) Weber grate. Made a charcoal basket out of a retired 18" grill grate and expanded steel (also free, sometimes I love my job). After 1 cleaning I made an ash pan out of a cheap grill from the dollar store. After a few cooks I wanted higher capacity, but couldn't source a kettle lid. Refusing to buy one, I came home with another drum from work and partitioned the top 1/3 to extend my drum. Works like a champ, and now I've got room for another grate, or sausage hangers, or.... :becky:
At any rate I wanted to thank the folks here, and share yet another success story.

chaddie 12-14-2010 06:05 PM

Nice mod. AcreFarm! :thumb:

N8man 12-14-2010 06:39 PM

OutStanding!!!! Love The Do It YourSelf Taller DrumPits!!!

AcreFarm 12-14-2010 08:24 PM

Thanks guys. I've only got the seasoning/small cook on the extended version, but it worked just as well as before. Maybe slightly more fuel consumption, but nothing to get worked up about. It ran at 300° for 3 hours, then down to 250° for 5 hours. Still had plenty to burn after I shut it down. Dang I love this thing!

primeggister1 12-14-2010 08:32 PM

Acrefarm,

What is the height of the extended Drum now? Do you find it easy to add lump if you had to? How is it standind over the extended drum cooking with the lower grid?

stglide 12-14-2010 09:14 PM

Nice mod AF!! Like the idea. Keep'em smok'n!

AcreFarm 12-15-2010 04:25 PM

primeggister1 with the extension the rim of the drum stands 44 inches high. The extension itself added 11 inches, making my first grate 17" below the lid. It's a slight stretch, but I'm short to begin with and it's nothing unmanageable.
I don't know how it would affect adding fuel, I didn't put any thought into it. Before the mod it had cooked over 14 hours on less than 20 lbs and still had plenty left over, I'd guess conservatively that it could have burned another 3+ hours. I don't believe the extension will hurt consumption very much, if at all.

coewar 12-15-2010 06:49 PM

Very cool indeed. I also did not want to purchase a Weber lid, but I can get a tight-end drum for $10 that can be cut at whatever height I need.

In my original post I included a URL to this guy who created a short smoker for more efficiency. (http://www.shortypen.com/projects/bb.../uds/index.htm)

One thing I forgot to mention, is that I put a thermometer on the lid and one on the side of the barrel at grill height. These thermometers are showing like 75 degrees lower than my remove thermometer located in center of cooking grate! I know the thermometers work because I used them on my previous offset smoker and after laying down tiles to make the heat from firebox move all the way into the cooking chamber, the temps all around were within 10 degrees.

So is it normal to have 50+ temperature difference on the side and lid from center of cooking grate? I do not have any diffuser but certainly will put one in to test.

primeggister1 12-16-2010 05:25 PM

Your first grid you mention is the lower one correct? And the upper one is...What distance from the lid? I have a couple of designs set out right now and I have a buddy that is a steel fabricator that works with stainless. So I do not really want to make a mistake.